Make me a believer - macbook or pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
sorry i just re read ur thing and i'd say i change my mind because the macbook PRO can handle up to 4 g of ram meaning... that although if ur using small amounts of programs you wont notice the difference if you are using alot of programs like you said you are this includes internet...supposibly like u said tons of internet tabs open in safari beta and firefox then go for the pro cause then you can handle the more and programs... if you want my two cents get the one in my avatar... get the 2.4 ghz model and not hte 2.2 like i did so then u get the best processing better with out going to the big screen like the 17 inch and it will be better for...things like traveling

Hey sorry but I just noticed and wanted to let you know that where you have your mac pic and settings in is called a signature or sig the smiley face icon you have is your avatar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I don't think that what is really bothering you has anything to do with value of a Macbook vs. the Dell. I think that what you have done is use the Dell as a "reason" to not switch over. I could be wrong, I'm not a psychologist. As someone who used Windows for 17 years, I can appreciate the position you're in. I changed, because I had the good fortune to finally try macs because they print for free in one of the computer labs at my university. I had no intention of becoming a Mac user. I just happened that after using a Mac for a few days, I didn't want to use Windows ever again. After 17 years of thinking that Macs were a "joke"!

I think you really ought to get your feet wet before donning a scuba suit and diving to the bottom of the ocean. You could purchase one of the zillions of G4 iBooks on eBay for a few hundred dollars and use it just for simple, routine things (internet, e-mail, papers, etc.). This would allow you to get familiar with OS X without spending oodles of cash. After you've used it for a bit, then you can sell the iBook and then worry about whether the MB or MBP is better suited to your needs.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Wow 5 pages in this thread to make me a believer lol. Well today I purchased a 2.16ghz macbook (white) with 1gb of ram and I have been using it for probably the last 4 hours straight and so far I am pretty impressed.

I opted to get the 1gb so I could upgrade to 2gb gskills on neweggs site and ditch these here or on ebay, wind up saving me even more money and get better ram out of it.

Its going to get some taking used to (miss my right click and alt-tab) but there are some cool things i like so far like the double finger scrolling on the track pad and how fluid everything is, I can't wait for leopard and with my luck they will release a new and probably better macbook in October to coincide with Leopard's release.

Few quick questions while I am posting this.

How can I switch between applications that aren't minimized to the dock area? (think windows alt tab)

Where are program files installed to? Say for instance after I install firefox how do I get into its folder?

Is there anyway to forcibly expand a window to the width of the screen rather then the width of the content? Besides dragging the corner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Wow 5 pages in this thread to make me a believer lol. Well today I purchased a 2.16ghz macbook (white) with 1gb of ram and I have been using it for probably the last 4 hours straight and so far I am pretty impressed.

I opted to get the 1gb so I could upgrade to 2gb gskills on neweggs site and ditch these here or on ebay, wind up saving me even more money and get better ram out of it.

Its going to get some taking used to (miss my right click and alt-tab) but there are some cool things i like so far like the double finger scrolling on the track pad and how fluid everything is, I can't wait for leopard and with my luck they will release a new and probably better macbook in October to coincide with Leopard's release.
CHR

How can I switch between applications that aren't minimized to the dock area? (think windows alt tab)

Where are program files installed to? Say for instance after I install firefox how do I get into its folder?

Is there anyway to forcibly expand a window to the width of the screen rather then the width of the content? Besides dragging the corner[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro

CHRIST..FINALLY!!!!

There is a tackpad option that allows you to two-finger tap on the pad and it brings up the right-click menu. Also, most 2 or 3 button mouse will work just fine. I'm using a Logitech MX900 bluetooth mouse and all the buttons/scroll wheel function just fine without drivers. Stay away from the Apple MightyMouse....I think it sucks.

Command-Tab (Command is the key with the Apple logo next to the space-bar)

Macintosh HD --> Applications

Is there anyway to forcibly expand a window to the width of the screen rather then the width of the content? Besides dragging the corner
OK...this sucks...NO there ain't. OS X is designed to be expanded to the maximum windows size that the content is intended to fit within. To do this, you click the green "+" at the top of the window bar.

here are some other things to know:
-Double-clicking the title bar will minimize to the dock, which I'm sure you've found out
- "fn-delete" is like regular "delete" while "delete" alone is "backspace"
- F11 is clear all windows to desktop
- Closing an application and quitting are different. To totally quit and app, go to the file bar and choose quit, for ex; Firefox-->Quit Firefox....or just Command-Q on the keyboard.
- Command-esc brings up the FrontRow interface
- Everything you plug or install onto the Macbook in 'mounted' as you'll notice on your desktop when you do so. To unmount, simply click the eject icon on the left-hand pane from Macintosh HD...or drag the icon to the trash-bin

Check out these links. They helped me a whole bunch:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651
http://macforbeginners.com/

Good luck !!!!

OP
Q
Reaction score
thanks for all the great info, i did alot of reading last night and learned alot, the more I learn the more i like this thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
MBP all the way!

OP
Q
Reaction score
meh maybe one day but i didn't want a desktop on my lap this time around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
thanks for all the great info, i did alot of reading last night and learned alot, the more I learn the more i like this thing!
Like I wrote before, all the 'concepts' to navigate within Win XP are very similar to OS X.

What I've found I like is that OS X is a fresh, clean interface that's made to operate and function the way it does...unlike Windows where the entire OS just seems like MS added a few more 'Legos' onto the OS and called it 'new'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"|matte display|OS X 10.4|2.2ghz intel

to minimize any program, you can press command+M

to find program files, click on your finder, click on applications, and in you go.

as for missing your right click, you can command+click, or just buy a regular two-button usb mouse. I play online games that require speedy right clicking.

have fun! these forums are WONDERFUL for switchers, I know from experience.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I didn't mean how to launch an application, i mean't the contents of the folder, such as firefox for instance if i wanted to view its folder to look at chrome.css, i think i found it anyway.

On another note I really am happy with my decision to go with mac, this thing is sick, i love it. I have only been using it for 2 days but so far I am very pleased. I am reading up on and learning more and more about it. I could definitely see myself getting an imac or macpro down the line, as long as it blows away what I intend to build.

Been using Adium with growl and afloat for transparency, preeeetty cool. Its an entirely different world and makes computing fun again because I am learning something new, I have found my new obsession.

I just wish this thing had an illuminated keyboard.

Reaction score
Help
I have never had a mac before and the writing on the 17 mac book pro is so small, if I change the display settings to other formats the screen is blurred is there another setting I havent found if so where

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Help
I have never had a mac before and the writing on the 17 mac book pro is so small, if I change the display settings to other formats the screen is blurred is there another setting I haven't found if so where
That is the nature of an LCD screen running or not running at its 'native' resolution. I's not a Mac or Windows thing. The small, razor-sharp looking text is the screen runnung at the resolution it was intended to run at. When you decrease the resolution, the screen uses the pixels to interpret or mimic that lower pixel count.

Being newer to the Mac myself, I'm not sure exactly how to do this but what you need to do is to increase your default system text size. I know how to do this in Windows XP but haven't found how to do this yet in OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.