Changing icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
in those 'post your desktop' threads, i see people with different icons that what OSX comes with. I downloaded my own icons, but i can't seem to figure out how to apply them. I went on that Mac 101 site and do what they said to do, but it doesn't seem to work for me. How's it done?

Reaction score
Didn't check the above link, but a neat way to do it, is to view your icons that you like in one folder, right click the file > Get Info (or command + i), then click on it's icon. You will notice it gets a selection border. Copy it (command + c). Then right click on the icon you want to change, select the icon (again, you will notice the selection border), then Paste it (command + v).

Very cool trick, hard one to work out too! Hope this makes sense..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
as said above by 'zurron' this is the way that i do it too. also in addition to this, if you want to revret back to the original just select the icon, then get info, then press, 'cut'(or command X)

also there is a piece of software called "candybar" which is a lot easier, you just drag the new icon into a box within the software and it replaces it. i think you get a certain amount of free goes then you can buy it for like $12/£6

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Pic2icon is a super duper easy way to turn any image file into an icon - even tansparent PNGs.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Oh cool, i wasn't doing it right before, thanks!

Reaction score
as said above by 'zurron' this is the way that i do it too. also in addition to this, if you want to revret back to the original just select the icon, then get info, then press, 'cut'(or command X[/URL]

Or selecting the icon and pressing (command + ) delete does the same thing ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.