.mac and domain publishing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

If I add my own domain to .mac so I can publish my work site will every site I create publish to my work domain address. I've created a new iweb version of my business site but also have a family site just created when I got iweb. All i want is so that my business site goes to my own domain address and my family site just has the default address that .mac gives it.

cheers

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So has anybody actually used there own domain when using .mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
not really sure what your asking,
do you have a .mac account?

if your meaning can you create a web page within iWeb and then have it set so when you type in www.something.com it goes to your iWeb page. Then yes this can be done,
when you create a webpage in iWeb and publish it to you .mac account it gets saved as something along the lines as, www.web.mac.username.com

what you have to do is go to the host of your domain name and log in. there will be somewhere where you can manage domains, you now need to select your domain name and choose fowarding. and then forward it to your .mac address.

also you might want to check out the web design and hosting forum, im sure someone there will be able to help.

hope this kinda makes sense,
sorry if it doesnt.

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi,

yes I do have a .mac account. I'll check out the web design and hosting forum.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have done this. If you are hosting your own site with another provider, you can not use iWeb to upload the site data. You have to save the iWeb data as a file and then manually upload it via FTP.

If you are using .Mac to host your site, you have to go to your domain seller and point the DNS servers to Apples .Mac servers. If you log onto .Mac it will explain this and walk you through it. This effectively removes your domain from a 3rd party's servers.

If you are using .Mac, either with your own domain or the .Mac domain, you simply click "Publish" from iWeb. If you have multiple iWeb accounts you can tell iWeb which one to send it to.

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done this. If you are hosting your own site with another provider, you can not use iWeb to upload the site data. You have to save the iWeb data as a file and then manually upload it via FTP.

If you are using .Mac to host your site, you have to go to your domain seller and point the DNS servers to Apples .Mac servers. If you log onto .Mac it will explain this and walk you through it. This effectively removes your domain from a 3rd party's servers.

If you are using .Mac, either with your own domain or the .Mac domain, you simply click "Publish" from iWeb. If you have multiple iWeb accounts you can tell iWeb which one to send it to.

Finally the answer I wanted.

cheers mate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.