Hellooooooooooooooooooo..... and help!

Reaction score
Before I start I'll introduce myself. My name is Paul and im a 25 year old student teacher / part-time web designer and I live in Liverpool, England. (Home of the Mighty Reds ;D )

Im here as I have a bit of a conundrum, and would like a good helping of opinions from some of the mac experts on here.

Right, the problem I have is that my trusty old iMac G4 'blew up' a couple of weeks ago. I had it 4 years, and it had never let me down, so I would have no problem with getting another iMac - especially since the newly released ones seem top drawer.
If I was to get another iMac it would be the 20" 2.4GHz model. Top spec, all brand new, cant go wrong wioth that really now, can i?

However, and this is the sticky bit, the shop that is sorting out the insurance claim for me has a connection that works for Mac, and he can get me a Macbook Pro for about £800.
Now this pro is a ex-display, and is un-boxed, but has a boat-load of software with it, but it is a 2.16GHz (I think) which I presume is now defunct as it is no longer available on the mac site.

Now I havent used a Mac laptop since I was in college used an old Powerbook (which was the mutts nuts) but I have heard good and bad things about the new intel powered pro's.

I really dont know which one to go for - I know Im in a very fortunate position to have the choice of two superb machines. Ive always fancied a mac laptop - all the otheres in college had them, but I couldnt afford one at the time - but I just dont know whether to gamble and go for a old-ish 2.16 pro or a brand spankin new 2.4 iMac.

If there are any tech-heads out there, would there be much difference in performance between them? I mean the processors on the pro is better in quality than the iMac's right (?), but the iMac has a more powerful processor.... or are they just "much -of-a-muchness".

Im just thinkin in words now and hope you understand what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul.

p.s. Im gonna post this in the laptop thread aswell, just to get both sides (hopefully) and weigh up pro's and con's. sorry for postin it twice.

OP
P
Reaction score
Before I start I'll introduce myself. My name is Paul and im a 25 year old student teacher / part-time web designer and I live in Liverpool, England. (Home of the Mighty Reds ;D )

Im here as I have a bit of a conundrum, and would like a good helping of opinions from some of the mac experts on here.

Right, the problem I have is that my trusty old iMac G4 'blew up' a couple of weeks ago. I had it 4 years, and it had never let me down, so I would have no problem with getting another iMac - especially since the newly released ones seem top drawer.
If I was to get another iMac it would be the 20" 2.4GHz model. Top spec, all brand new, cant go wrong wioth that really now, can i?

However, and this is the sticky bit, the shop that is sorting out the insurance claim for me has a connection that works for Mac, and he can get me a Macbook Pro for about £800.
Now this pro is a ex-display, and is un-boxed, but has a boat-load of software with it, but it is a 2.16GHz (I think) which I presume is now defunct as it is no longer available on the mac site.

Now I havent used a Mac laptop since I was in college used an old Powerbook (which was the mutts nuts) but I have heard good and bad things about the new intel powered pro's.

I really dont know which one to go for - I know Im in a very fortunate position to have the choice of two superb machines. Ive always fancied a mac laptop - all the otheres in college had them, but I couldnt afford one at the time - but I just dont know whether to gamble and go for a old-ish 2.16 pro or a brand spankin new 2.4 iMac.

If there are any tech-heads out there, would there be much difference in performance between them? I mean the processors on the pro is better in quality than the iMac's right (?), but the iMac has a more powerful processor.... or are they just "much -of-a-muchness".

Im just thinkin in words now and hope you understand what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul.

p.s. Im gonna post this in the desktop thread aswell, just to get both sides (hopefully) and weigh up pro's and con's. sorry for postin it twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
Hi and welcome Paul.

The first question you should ask yourself is: do i what a desktop or laptop Mac?

I think that you should go for the iMac. It has better specs, it's new with a full years warranty, the screens bigger, i could go on.

I personally would go for the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.