printer not recognizeding

Reaction score
I got an Epson cx5400 all in one printers, and when i plug in the usb to my macbook nothing happens.

i'm new to the mac so i'm unsure of if i'm missing a step. I thought after i plug in the usb, it would prompt me a screen or something like with the PC.

i made sure it was on, and i even printed with my PC right after, since it didn't work on my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
1. Connect your printer to your Mac (which you've already done).

2. Turn on your printer (did you do this?)

3. Open the document you want to print. (Choose file >Print)

4. A Print dialog box will come up where you can choose your printers name. If it is not listed there:

From the Printer pop-up menu, choose Add Printer and the printer set-up menu will open automatically (or you could have opened it manually from Applications > Utilities folder)

If you see the name of your printer there, click Add.

If you still don't find it there, click "more printers" and you'll have to tell how your printer is connected, such as Epson USB.

Main thing to remember is you must have a printer not only connected, but turned on and ready to use.

Hope this is what you need. Good luck!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just to add to the excellent summary that Carol wrote, you may need to install a Macintosh driver if OS X doesn't natively support your printer.

That driver is available here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.