Using Studio Monitor Speakers as "Multimedia PC Speakers"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've been looking for some good 2.0 speakers (not allowed subs) to go with my MacBook Pro. I was looking at a few around £70, and then I saw some studio monitors for the same price. My mind is thinking that they'd be much better quality than the designated computer speakers; after all they are meant for sound production studios. However, not being into the sound scene, I was wondering if there's a reason why everybody isn't doing this? Are they up to the job, or do they play a more specialized role that would make them unsuited to iTunes + DVD speakers?

Reaction score
Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor --can possibly connect digitally to your MBP. I might get these. $129 USD

I've been looking for some good 2.0 speakers (not allowed subs) to go with my MacBook Pro. I was looking at a few around £70, and then I saw some studio monitors for the same price. My mind is thinking that they'd be much better quality than the designated computer speakers; after all they are meant for sound production studios. However, not being into the sound scene, I was wondering if there's a reason why everybody isn't doing this? Are they up to the job, or do they play a more specialized role that would make them unsuited to iTunes + DVD speakers?

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor --can possibly connect digitally to your MBP. I might get these. $129 USD

I'm actually thinking of the MS20; about £10-20 cheaper, and I'm not gonna need the extra power (I'll get a REAL setup once I move into my own place and am on a wage :p)

Reaction score
Studio monitors are fantastic. The sound is "true" if that makes sense. I'll never go back to multimedia speakers.

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that sounds like one less thing to worry about :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Size of the monitors and space constraints? Some people are happy with having two little PC speakers. Speaking of which, I'm going to hook the laptop up at my studio and play battlefield. I'm sure it will be nice feeling the explosions with the setup I have...I have the MBP hooked up for recording, but it never occured to me that I should hook my gaming notebook up to get the full experience...

OP
Levi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Size of the monitors and space constraints? Some people are happy with having two little PC speakers. Speaking of which, I'm going to hook the laptop up at my studio and play battlefield. I'm sure it will be nice feeling the explosions with the setup I have...I have the MBP hooked up for recording, but it never occured to me that I should hook my gaming notebook up to get the full experience...

Just small "bookshelf" speakers. Not sure about space constraints (not moved into where they'll be moved yet), but space is at a premium.

I was just looking at them because I hate those little PC speakers that distort so easily. I started looking for some "real speakers" with digital input, and the MS20 looked OK, was about the right size, the right price range and the reviews said they weren't bad for the price (and these are people who have better ears than me).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.