• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Next iMac Design?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
I know I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but since you all seem really informed and/or have alot of experience with Apple stuff...

Just wondering when everyone thinks they'll come up with a new design, or a better alternative to the new iMac they just released?

I was going to get a new Mac Mini, but just realized my monitor won't plug into it. So now I have to look at these new iMacs. Once I saw them, I made up my mind to just get a mini, now I have to really think about it again.. Shucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Why would your monitor not plug into it?... Most monitors are VGA or DVI and the Mini supports both, just the VGA is supported via the supplied converter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you have that new fangled connector that looks like a SATA connector, you should be able to connect any computer monitor to the Mini. I'm going to assume your monitor has a VGA connector, so getting yourself a VGA-to-DVI adapter should solve your problem.

As for what the next design looks like, nobody hear can give you an answer to that question. None of the mockups got the new design right, so anything we tell you is purely speculative and has a high rate of being very wrong ;P

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Argh... If I could draw it out for you, I would. It's a blue connector that gets screwed in after you put it in. The plug-in that appears to match the mini is sitting at the back of my PC all empty. Would that be VGA? I will check it out at Radio Shack. An adapter sounds cool. Thanks!

My monitor is a 2 1/2-year old Benq FP731. It was nearly $400 at the time I bought it. Now LCD's have gone down a lot in price. I should have waited 6 more months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Thats a VGA connector. The mini should have come with an adapter.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As for what the next design looks like, nobody hear can give you an answer to that question. None of the mockups got the new design right, so anything we tell you is purely speculative and has a high rate of being very wrong ;P

Hopefully the Apple design team will take those mockups into consideration on the next design! I'm still hoping for the computer-simply-that-looks-like-a-monitor idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini | 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD ||| Black MacBook | 2.16GHz C2D | 2GB RAM
My monitor is a 2 1/2-year old Benq FP731. It was nearly $400 at the time I bought it. Now LCD's have gone down a lot in price. I should have waited 6 more months.

That monitor is a VGA montior (most VGA plugs are blue...this helps identify where to plug things in for silly PC users ;) )...the Mac mini comes with a VGA to DVI adapter, that you can use to plug your monitor into the mini.

Get the mini :) it's worth it.

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome help, everyone, thanks!!! Now I can relax again and do some shopping. I really don't like the 'new' design of the iMacs. I'll get the Mini for now, and hopefully Apple will come out with something better for the iMacs, and I'll splurge then... whenever that'll be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.