iPhoto Library Sort System...rolls, not dates??

Reaction score
Just started with iPhoto 6.0.6 on my Macbook Pro running 10.4.10

The issue I have is that iPhoto is sorting my "iphoto Library" by 'roll', not date. I've tried changing preferences and can't seem to figure out how to get it to sort them by date.

Anyone know how?

-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you expand under "Library" they'll be sorted by year. Other than that, you can make albums or organize your own folder tree to organize however you want (which is that I did).

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, I should be more specific. I'm looking to have iPhoto sort the files on the harddrive by date.

My 12" powerbook has photos in folders broken down by year/month/day. My new Macbook Pro seems to only want to do it in year/roll.

I use iPhoto to import/store photos on my mac, but for things like uploading to flicker or my blog I use the finder. It's pretty darned easy to remember that a race I attended was on Date X...how the heck am I ever supposed to remember that it was roll 59 that I shot?

So I would like my photos to be sorted by date on the HD. iPhoto on my 12" does this automatically. Thoughts?

-Dave

OP
O
Reaction score
No one?

Also, why are the files in my finder being resized to 360 x ___ ?

-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
In iPhoto 6 it's best to use smart folders (Albums)to sort your pictures then you can make a smart folder within iPhoto to find picture within a date range you set yourself.

iphoto-20070905-165244.jpg

It's kinda like the way iPhoto 7 works with events.
Don't mess around in your iPhoto folder in Finder... iPhoto won't like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Renaming your "rolls" to something more logical can help as well as the album/folder arrangement suggested above. I have renamed all my rolls, so I can find things more easily. The rolls should sort themselves by date. Is this not the case with your rolls?

You can click on "sort by date" in the menubar under Photos, I think (not at the mac right now), and you will have one large window with all of your photos by date -- roll structure will not be showing. Is this what you want?

I strongly second the idea to not muck about in the finder -- corruption and loss of photos will ensue and neither you nor iPhoto will be happy. Do everything from within the app itself and all will be well!

OP
O
Reaction score
Here's the thing no one seems to understand: I'm not "mucking around" in the finder. But I do NEED to find photos by date using the finder.

When uploading photos to Flickr, I choose the photos from the finder, NOT through iPhoto. It's super easy to remember I took X photo last friday...it's not easy to remember I took that photo as part of roll number 22.

If my 12" powerbook saves all my photos in the folders by date, where the heck is the setting to have my 15" do the same?? I've tried iPhoto preferences, I've tried sorting by date, and nothing changes the way they are saved.

I don't want to give up on iPhoto, especially since I KNOW it will do what I want it too. I just want the files put in folders logically, so I can find them quickly from other applications.

-Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.