iPod to iTunes... With Vista.

Reaction score
For some reason my cousin lost his mind and decided to buy a laptop with Vista on in. Yes, I know, what an idiot.

In attempting to transfer his music from his old laptop to the new one in only took about a month to figure out how to get Vista to accept iTunes as a program (Virus, Infrections, Spyware, Trogans, and Adware is all it runs, they picked VISTA for a reason).

Anywho- all his music is now stored on his iPod- and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it onto the new laptop.

Beyond cursing Vista for the rest of my life, does anyone have a clue about how to get around it and the poor guy some music on his laptop?

Screw Vista!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
there a few programs out there in the internet that let you transfer your music directly from your iPod to Windows; i'm not aware of any of those because I use Mac, but you can google "Transfer music from ipod to windows" and there should be a program. Or Softonic could be a good option. Good Luck.

BTW... just because he picked Vista doesn't mean he's an idiot, I don't know for how long you've been using Mac (if you use it) but i'm sure you someday used Windows just as the rest of us and did you feel idiot as well? I bet you wouldn't say. Windows user are different from Us Mac users, but that doesn't mean either one has to insult the other.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting all windows users are idiots, but those who choose to subject themselves to the horrors of the operating system that is windows Vista have to be a in a different place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm not suggesting all windows users are idiots, but those who choose to subject themselves to the horrors of the operating system that is windows Vista have to be a in a different place.

I use Vista on my two Windows machines. And one is basically a file server for my music.

As far as I know, uploading from an iPod to a computer is something that can't be done on a mac without some kind of software. Same as a PC. Neither one of my Vista Ultimate installations have any problems.

Now if you're done insulting people who use a different OS than OS X (as well as using OS X) then I can help.

On my Vista machine, I first installed iTunes and then YamiPod (www.yamipod.com - stands for not another iPod manager). It's a tiny file that has Windows and OS X versions. If you follow the instructions, it will allow you to transfer the music and other content on the iPod to a folder on the computer you have it connected to. Then, open iTunes and select "Import Folder" from one of the menus.

It will then import everything removed from the iPod into iTunes and he'll be set. I believe he can erase the folder that he imported the tunes to because iTunes will most likely import them into it's own folder. Also, it may take a while depending on how many files there are to transfer. I believe 15gb took around an hour. It may not be fast by normal standards, but it gets the job done.

Obviously it takes an Idiot to help you out (*point point**screen name*)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video (30GB). iPhone 3G 8GB. 13" Unibody MacBook 2.4ghz.
I've been using Music Rescue to get stuff off my ipod. It only works for music and video; not pictures or anything else. I don't know of any software that will work for pictures (if you know of some, please drop a link :) ).

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/29657
The only bad thing about it is that every 50 songs it asks you to upgrade to the pro version or whatever. So just stick by your computer to click ok.

Also, don't bash things you don't like. Seriously, when has bashing ever accomplished anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video (30GB). iPhone 3G 8GB. 13" Unibody MacBook 2.4ghz.
Sorry I didn't mention this in my previous post. This takes the music straight off the ipod and puts it in a folder. Or you can select an option to automatically import it to iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.