upgrading to Tiger

Reaction score
I have an eMac 10.2.4 and I would like to upgrade to Tiger. I see some disks that are 10.4 and say they are for eMacs. I looked at the 10.4.8 and say they are for intel Macs. And you need firewire.
Which ones will work for my old eMac?? I looked in my system profiler and it says, no firewire devices detected.
I don't know which upgrades to get. HELP...

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Do you think 10.4.4 is enough? I'm having some little problems with certain websites with my 10.2.4 (old flash, causing some crashes) and would like to upgrade as much as possible to get better performance. I was going to get the 10.4.8 but I see it's in DVD form and "not" made for emacs.

M

MacHeadCase

If you're looking at a full retail install Tiger disk, it has nothing to do with your Mac model unless you don't meet the system requirements (which you do).

I think that what you are checking out (on eBay?) is Tiger restore disks that came with other Mac models: those will never do on your eMac because these are model-specific installation disks.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
If you're looking at a full retail install Tiger disk, it has nothing to do with your Mac model unless you don't meet the system requirements (which you do).

I think that what you are checking out (on eBay?) is Tiger restore disks that came with other Mac models: those will never do on your eMac because these are model-specific installation disks.

Yes, I'm looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh...ryZ80258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think I'm looking at the restore ones. They have quite a few of those listed. But I'm looking at new ones - never registered or opened.
I'm just confused by the ones listed as 10.4.4 and 10.4.8. The .8 ones say they are for intel Macs and the .4 ones say they are for the eMacs.
I just don't want to get the wrong one

M

MacHeadCase

That is a restore disk if the seller says it's for an eMac. And it won't work if you don't have the exact same eMac model that disk was designed for. When the install media's label is grey, it's a restore disk.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
oh wow - good thing I posted here before buying! Would you suggest to not buy off ebay and just go to apple?? What color should the install disk be?

M

MacHeadCase

One thing's for sure, you can't go wrong buying directly from Apple!

Your eMac can read DVDs just fine? Then there is no problem buying the ordinary DVD install disk. If you had an older Mac that can only read CDs, then you would have to ask for the Tiger full install CD version.

The image I posted above is a scan of my full install Tiger DVD media: it isn't a grayscale image, the disk is really black, white and silverish.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. My system profiler says CD-ROM. How can I check to see if it reads DVD's? I'm thinking it can't but I just don't know.

M

MacHeadCase

If it can read DVDs, it will be listed in your Hardware as either a ComboDrive or a SuperDrive. The difference is that the SuperDrive allows to read AND write to a DVD, while a ComboDrive only reads them (which would be fine for the install media, btw).

Edited to add:

Will you be ordering online at the Apple Store or going to an Apple Store or a Mac store near you? I'm asking because if you order online it might be a longer process. I don't think you can ask directly for the CD version. So you'll have to order the DVD version: once you receive it, you have to fill out this pdf form, return the DVD and send in a check for $9.95US then they'll return the CD version. It would be less of a hassle, I think, if you went to a store and asked directly for the CD version, perhaps?

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
anyone update their ibook to 10.4.10 lately?

I have an ibook - 10.4.8 Looked at my new software available and it has 10.4.10 any good for the ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
it doesn't hurt to have the latest firmware version.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
upgrade to Tiger update

Can't find my last post on this subject. I bought on ebay Tiger 10.4 CD install and I even emailed the guy to make sure it wasn't the restores. On his ebay picture - he's got the black and white with the big X. NOT the grey and whites. So, it comes in the mail and guess what..... YUP - restores!! I couldn't believe it. I called them - it's a company and told them that's not what I ordered. They had a few negative responses from other people who also got restores and did not order those. That's why I emailed the person to make sure. Why are people so stupid!!!!
So I get in a big fight with the salesperson or whoever it was at this place and told them that I'm sending the RESTORES back and I'm not paying for them.
He finally agreed to go that route but I was on the phone forever trying to tell him what I ordered and what I got. He was NOT understanding. I put it on a credit card at least. He said they were on the up and up and I told him he wasn't. Why did he have the black and white disk as the picture for the selling point and then send restores! The black and white one that I got doesn't say tiger10.4 at all. It says, "XCode 2".
NEVER AGAIN!! I will never do that again.
I still want to upgrade this emac. If I get it from Apple (which is the only way I'd do it now), I'd have to get the CD version. My emac doesn't have a DVD drive. Is there a CD version or I understood there was a 10.00 fee for something. Can someone tell me what that is and how I would do this now??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
There was/is a CD version. You have to send in your DVD and Apple will replace it with CDs (I can't remember if there's a charge); however I think I read that there was a time limit on this and I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

Unless someone here has done it recently, or knows otherwise, you might be best giving Apple a call and asking for the details.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Talked with Apple and they discontinued the media exchange program :(
So, the only thing I can do is get the DVD and use an external DVD drive and hook that into the firewire. I wouldn't know the first about that! And how much DVD'd drives are....
so, I think I'm going to take it into the mac repair people and just have them do it. They will charge me 30.00 but I'm thinking that's less than doing it myself since I don't have the external. Right??
Plus I get a good discount on mac software thru the University I work at. So, I think I'll still be ahead.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
external DVD drive?

I have a new operating system to be put onto my old emac. Old emac only has a CD drive. I was looking at the DVD externals and they seems to all say WINDOWS. Does mac need it's own Mac DVD external drive??
DH might have a computer guy at work with one but he only has PC's. Don't know now if his DVD will work with my mac.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
new operating system questions...

Today I put a new operating system on my eMac via firewire target disk mode using my ibook as the host computer. Worked great but the eMac saved ALL my old files and even OS 9. I had backed up all my info ready for all my old files to be dumped and gone. How could it have kept all my old information?
I'm sure OS 9 won't even work with OSX 10.4.8 will it? I don't want it. Can I dump all that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, you can dump it. Unless you reformat the disc, OSX will ALWAYS save the old system and leave it for you delete manually.

OS9 works great for running classic under OSX, I just reinstalled it and it works fine with 10.4.10...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.