upgrading to Tiger

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Yes, you can dump it. Unless you reformat the disc, OSX will ALWAYS save the old system and leave it for you delete manually.

OS9 works great for running classic under OSX, I just reinstalled it and it works fine with 10.4.10...

Well, I guess I won't worry about it then. What do you use classic for? Weird thing I just noticed, alot of stuff got transferred onto my ibook as well off that OSX 10.4
and my ibook is running on OSX 10.4.10
I just dumped classic off the ibook. but if I have a reason to keep it on the emac, I'll just leave it alone.
And where are all the languages now? Can't find them anywere.

Reaction score
Get rid of Classic. It's a kludge and it's also a security/stability risk.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
OS 9 in system pref.

How do I get OS 9 icon out of system preferences?? I got it off the ibook but can't figure out how to get it off the emac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What version of OS X do you have?

I believe older versions have it built in so you can't remove it from system prefs.

I'm not quite sure why you're so eager to remove it though - it's not doing any harm sitting there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
/System/Library/PrefercePanes/Classic.prefPane

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I have an emac - so yes... it came with it back in the olden days. I upgraded the emac to OSX 10.4.8 and I didn't do a clean install so it kept all my old files which was good in some ways but I don't want OS 9 anymore. Just to have more room - that's all.
Somehow OS 9 got onto the ibook because in order to get the new operating system on the emac, I had to use the ibook as the host computer via firewire. Emac doesn't have a DVD drive.
But I got OS 9 off ibook but couldn't on emac. But that might be why.... maybe it can't be since it's part of the system. Unless I re-do the install and do a clean sweep. Ah.... no big deal. I can live there if it wants. I was just curious if I could get it off. If it's taking up space, it would be nice to not have it there.
Thanks.... baggss - I'll check that one out.

Reaction score
Good question I have discovered the same. Cross a liteon one off your list I got one and will read but not write (whenever I write it goes direct to writing lead out)

M

MacHeadCase

Remember to look for an external FireWire DVD optical drive otherwise you won't be able to install your OS.

Reaction score
Will USB ones really not work?

I exchanged the liteon one for an LG one that I had seen mentioned on another forum and had the same problem (going straight to lead out) yet both drives read the disk just fine.

I am thinking I will just have to power-buy the lacie from the apple store.

M

MacHeadCase

A USB peripheral can allow an Intel-based Mac to boot from it, I've heard. But in the OP's case (and yours too if you have a PowerPC-based Mac) you will need a FireWire DVD. I would guess holding down the Option key while booting will allow the user to pick the external DVD as the main OS and this will allow the install on the internal disk.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score

Right now on my emac is running on 10.4.6 and I was sent an upgrade notice. So, fine... I try to upgrade but since i have dialup at home, it was going to take over 22 hours!! Is there another way I could do this? Is there maybe a CD somewhere out there in cyber land that I could get?
Or just leave it alone? My emac doesn't have a DVD player - just a CD. In order for me to upgrade it to Tiger, I used the target disk mode, using my ibook as the host computer.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Ah great idea! I can do that with my ibook laptop then at work. Thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.