mac durability

Reaction score
Hi there. Yet another post from the hopefully soon to be Mac owner.

My dad and I went to the apple store today (in my attempt to convince him not to get a machine with Vista) and he tried out a macbook (he just used excel for Mac and word I think). He said he was much more enthusiastic about it now that he knows a mac will run the program exactly like he has it on XP.

Anyway, he said he was concerned that the macs look (and feel) and little "fragile" and plastiky (sp?); like they'd break easily. Honeslty, the keys on the macbook do seem a little less durable than my standard keyboard.

What are your experiences with dropping/ really using your macbook or mac in general over a long period of time? Thanks.

TWM

Reaction score
if you drop a notebook, it is more than likely going to break. so far my 8 month old macbook has held up fine. Let me warn you now, if your dad wants a windows machine, he should get one. Don't get a Mac just to try to make it a windows machine... Get a Mac if he really does like the operating system Better than windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
  1. I don't drop my notebooks.
  2. I don't sit drinks or keep any sort of liquids anywhere near them.
  3. I don't eat or keep food around them.
  4. I don't tinker with them or pull them apart to open them up (outside of a Apple Certified CIP upgrade).
  5. I don't install or use any software that will isn't specifically rated and/or designed for that particular computer, nor do I use any software that will alter the firmware or override the computer's normal functions.
  6. I don't install or use any hardware that isn't specifically rated and/or designed for that particular computer.

If a person follows those same simple guidelines, then that person will have their computer for a very long time with virtually no problems or issues of any kind.... just like I have always done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this not sound harsh, but laptops are to use and not drop. I don't care if it's a Dell, Compaq, Mac or even Thinkpad, drop it, something might break. The Display is very easy to damage on ANY laptop. I have seen IBM Thinkpads which are considered by many some of the best built laptops on the market break the display if dropped the wrong way. Best thing to do is take care of your machine and not drop it.

One thing that has caused a LOT of issues with other brands is not there on the Mac ever since Apple went to the Magsafe power plug. Normally if you trip over the power cord, the laptop might hit the ground. On Macs it will just let go and not drag the machine with it to the floor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I think Mac's hold up pretty well. Here's a vid of a stress test, you decide! I think all in all the Mac holds its own.

OP
Duck_Stab
Reaction score
thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't really inquiring so much about "dropping" an apple computer more than I was about usual wear on the keys and whatnot.

My dad actually likes the idea of getting something other than Windows, but just needs Office to do work related tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
  4. I don't tinker with them or pull them apart to open them up (outside of a Apple Certified CIP upgrade).
  5. I don't install or use any software that will isn't specifically rated and/or designed for that particular computer, nor do I use any software that will alter the firmware or override the computer's normal functions.
  6. I don't install or use any hardware that isn't specifically rated and/or designed for that particular computer.

If a person follows those same simple guidelines, then that person will have their computer for a very long time with virtually no problems or issues of any kind.... just like I have always done.

Man you're boring.

I'm always plugging crap into things that "they" say I shouldn't be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Man you're boring.

I'm always plugging crap into things that "they" say I shouldn't be.

Yeah, that's funny. Do you wear a white-biohazard suit and only use it in a static-free environment? ;D

Hey, just kidding DB, don't ban me!!

My MacBook is pretty new, so I don't keep drinks within a few feet of it. But man, I gotta have my munchies. I just try to be real careful ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.