Borders/frames on pictures

Reaction score
Looking for a simple way to put borders/frames on pics. I have a copy of aperture but am not too familiar with the software. Can I put simple borders on a picture with it? Any recomendations for sotware I could use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you have Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or GIMP, all of these can be induced to draw borders, if only with a large pencil brush and use of straight lines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here is a very simple minded approach with the GIMP. This puts a simple black frame around the photo.

Open the photo of interest with GIMP - I am using 2.2.17. Select the pencil tool. Set the brush size to whatever width of border you want. Now position your brush in the upper right corner and click once. Release all mouse buttons. Now position your brush in the lower left corner. Hold down the SHFT key. GIMP will show you an outline of the line it is going to draw. Move your mouse around until you are sure the line is straight - this is easier than it sounds. Now click the mouse again. GIMP will draw a perfectly straight line from your upper left corner to your lower left corner. Repeat around all four corners to achieve a full border around the picture.

Looking to get a more clever result? The sky is the limit. Put the lines in question on another layer and experiment with different brush types, opacities, filter effects etc. until you achieve what you are looking for. You can also do this a few times, with lines inside of lines to achieve a "matte frame" sort of look. The possibilities are endless!

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.