• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Worth it to buy Logitech z-680?

Reaction score
I'm tempted to purchase a used but working logitech z-680 through craigslist. I'm looking for a good sound system to go into my college apartment bedroom and while the z-5500 is tempting, it is priced slightly out of range for a college student.

Is the z-680 still a good buy despite being relatively outdated? I will be using it mostly to listen to music on my new MBP and play Xbox 360.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazon reviewers - 99 out of 134 5 stars - thats real good for anything - and depends on the price you're getting it for.

I have an older 5.1 model that is still going strong after 8 years and sounds pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Most 2.1 and pretty much all 5.1 sets made by Logitech are crazy good. I use the X-530's on my Xbox 360 and the Z3e's on my iBook. Phenomenal sound quality for a decent price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
$100 for a set of used speakers that originally sold for $400? Now I've experienced those speakers myself and I have to admit, they are pretty amazing. I have a friend who had that same set in his dorm room and he loved it.

However, my only issue is that a 5.1 set can be pretty annoying to setup in a dorm room, especially given the size of that subwoofer. I remember not having much foot space after I placed the subwoofer below my desk (made for one great footrest though).

If you think you're going to have the room, then you should definitely go for it. Just be sure that there isn't any sort of damage to the speakers. Ask for pictures if the guy hasn't posted them already

OP
C
Reaction score
I live in an on campus apartment. It's an apartment but it's on campus and paid for like a dorm (one payment on a fee bill as opposed to rent). About the same size as off campus apartments though.

I should have room. My room is by no means big, but I have quite a few larger electronics that fit just fine.

What about http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/155/Altec+Lansing+FX6021+21+Speakers/ as a 2.1 system ? I'm torn on whether to get a 5.1 or 2.1 (price concerns mostly).

I'm really looking for something that isn't just clear but can rock the floor and I also think that a 5.1 system would really make my video games much more immersive (Gears of War, Bioshock, Madden, Halo, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're going to want something a bit beefier than that Altec Lansing set you linked to if you want it to "rock the floor".

I have a set of 2.1 Logitech speakers, essentially the Z-680s but with two speakers. At half volume with bass turned to 25%, I could feel it two floors below me, which was pretty impressive considering the type of material the building was made of. The Z-2300 is the newest version of my speakers, but they're essentially the same. The set is just over the $100 mark, but trust me, they are definitely what you're looking for.

Klipsch makes some really amazing speakers as well, but a bit more on the pricier side. For true sound reproduction, it's hard to beat Klipsch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Or if you can really afford it, go with Bose.

OP
C
Reaction score
Kash: Those work with the MBP, correct? And they're loud you're saying?

I might have to check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're powered speakers, so yes, they can be quite loud

OP
C
Reaction score
I just picked up the z2300s and WOW. Looks can be deceiving. This thing is powerful. I'm afraid to turn it up past 40%.

Is there any special adapter I need to make this work with my MBP (which will arrive tuesday)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just stick it into the headphone port and you should be good to go. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.