Turn Off Start Up Sound...

Reaction score
How do you turn off the start up sound?! It even comes on when I have headphones in. Sometimes it's so freaking loud and I'm in libraries and such... please help me out here =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you have your volume turned down or muted before you turn it off, it won't sound on the startup.

There's also this preference pane that I found on the Net that actually lets you configure this feature to turn it on or off. You can check it out here:Psst!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
Or you can cut cut off the jack on a pair of old headphones and plug that in when you boot up. Or just don't shut down your mac, it travels fine while it's asleep.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it should still come on when you have a headphone jack in since it happens before the OS starts fully. it should always use the internal speakers. you probably don't want to disable it either since it can be used in case of problems to determine how far your start up has gotten before you encounter issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.