Monitor colour calibrators

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Hello,

I am getting a new Mac pro next week and a D200 camera. I have been reading quite a bit about using photoshop etc and have been told that I really need to buy a screen calibrator.

My question in everyones experience how much do you actually need to spend to get a usable device and which is best to buy I have seen a Spyder 2 for about £60 or £100 including the printer calibration. Is this good? What about the huey?

If possible I would like to be able to calibrate the sceen for my windoze box too but if the best device doesn't have this option it is not the end of the world.

M

MacHeadCase

At school, we use the Spyder but the teacher said there was better options available for pros. He didn't mention any brands though. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I use and recommend the Spyder2Pro. It has achieved wonderful results on my Mac, against my Viewsonic VP2130b monitor. Absolutely recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
hueys are sold in Apple stores for $80 USD. I have no experience with them or any other ones, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Another hand up for the Spyder2Pro, have used it for the last year on my old windows box and now on my Macbook Pro. A bit more expensive than the standard Spyder, but I think its ability to measure ambient room light is a pretty important feature which the cheaper versions don't have, you can find a quick comparison here.

OP
cowasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
thanks for your post. What advantage is the ability to read ambient room light?

M

MacHeadCase

In a dark room you obviously need a monitor that throws out less brightness and in a very bright room your monitor's brightness has to be cranked all the way up.

But I dunno if that is good or bad, this ability to read ambient light: if you are using your computer in a room with a window, the amount of ambient light varies from hour to hour... I guess it is a good feature if you are using your computer in a closed room like in a basement (where the ambient light is constant) or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.