Cant connect to internet cafe

Reaction score
Kind of an odd question. My girlfriend is up Maine and has her macbook with her. They went to a cafe in town, and she tried to get on their wifi network. She connected to the network, and her wireless strength indicator had full internet signal, but when she opened safari, it said it wasnt connected to the internet. I looked around but couldnt find anything like this. anyone got a solution? and I did have her ask, no WAP or WEP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Kind of an odd question. My girlfriend is up Maine and has her macbook with her. They went to a cafe in town, and she tried to get on their wifi network. She connected to the network, and her wireless strength indicator had full internet signal, but when she opened safari, it said it wasnt connected to the internet. I looked around but couldnt find anything like this. anyone got a solution? and I did have her ask, no WAP or WEP

Not meant to be an insult, or question your tech level of knowledge...

Did she turn on Safari after connecting or before?

I keep my Airport off when I am connected to my LAN. So if I go out, to a coffee shop, I have to turn on Airport. If I forget and start opening Safari, etc it of course does not work. So I then turn on Airport, connect it. After that I find that sometimes I need to close Safari to get it to recognize that the Airport is now on.

It could also be that the coffee shop Wifi tosses you to "their" home page, and it was just down for some reason.

Some free Wifi spots have timers that only allow connections for 2 hours at a time. The router tosses you to a page that you click, "Agree" on, that starts the timer. That page could have been down...

OP
D
Reaction score
Alright, I'll call her and let her know. I know that there is internet in this cafe because I was there last month and had no problem, but she is also a bit newer to mac world so, Thanks for the words of advice:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.