Random files appearing on Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
ok...

Today I was downloading a bunch of files off the internet. When one of the save dialogs came up, I noticed a weird ".exe" file on my desktop. The name of it was a random assortment of letters and numbers about 10 characters long. Apple recognized it as a quicktime MPEG movie. The weird thing is, every time the save dialog came up another one appeared, again and again. Then, a ".zip" file appeared after I deleted them all. When I tried to open it, it came up with an error that said the file does not exist. After that, I restarted my computer hoping that it would fix the problem, and it seams to have, at least for now.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The files you "downloaded" were likely just various adware, spyware, junkware, etc targeted for Windows computers. Since they won't do a thing to your Mac, it just dumps them on the Desktop because quite frankly the Mac has no idea what to do with them. This is why they get odd application references added to them.

Most of these things go unnoticed by Windows users, even the ones who claim they have never had any malware ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Which browser? Safari? Firefox?

I think that could be what you were downloading: the partial files before the download is complete.

Sometimes, these partial files would get a ".exe" extension for some reason, but when the download is completely, the final files will have the correct file name.

OP
NPuter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
First off remain: I am using firefox

I should have been more descriptive in my initial post.
There were two or there motion sensor apps I wanted to try that I found on this website: http://semaja2.net/cool-mac-apps/ , they are were mac apps in dmg images which is why im getting confused about this windows stuff.
The weird files started popping up after I had already run a few of these apps. I came across another one that looked cool and click download, that is when I noticed the weird file, so I click cancel, then download again, and another one came up. I did this a few time to make sure it was not a coincidence, and it turns out that every time the save dialog came up another file appeared.

as I said in my first post this is not happening anymore
I am just wondering what this was all about

btw: thanks for all the quick responces

Thanks again

OP
NPuter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool.....
I know exactly how to recreate this event

here is one of the apps I wanted to try
http://www.suitable.com/tools/seismac.html

When I scroll down some and click on the download link, firefox asks me if I want to save the file
If I click Save As... presto, I get a weird file on my desktop

I think you may be right DevilBoy, but
why would windows adware be on a mac app download?

I am just glad that this is related to this specific download and is not something wrong with my computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I also use Firefox.

I just tried it, and I get the "[random characters].exe" also.

But it's "normal." I get that from time to time when I download something.

It's not a case of Windows malware.

OP
NPuter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for all your help,
I am just glad now that this is not my computer acting up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.