installing windows on mac os x

Reaction score
Hi

i just got a macbook a few weeks ago...i am loving it so far...what a big difference in quality from a pc...however.. i need to install windows xp to use software that is exclusive to pc... what program works more efficiently...boot camp or parallels???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi

i just got a macbook a few weeks ago...i am loving it so far...what a big difference in quality from a pc...however.. i need to install windows xp to use software that is exclusive to pc... what program works more efficiently...boot camp or parallels???

Welcome, and congratulations.

Parallels and Boot Camp are very different means to the same end.

Boot Camp allows you to install Windows XP natively on your computer. The primary advantage is that you can take full advantage of your hardware (which is good for games). The public "beta" program is completely free.

Parallels runs Windows (any version) on a "virtual machine". While the performance is very similar to that of running it in Boot Camp, it doesn't take full advantage of your hardware, so many games will not run. The nice thing is that you can run Windows simultaneously with OS X and interact between the two Operating Systems seamlessly.

Parallels is a bit pricey at $80 + the cost of a compatible version of Windows (keep in mind that you can not use a Windows disc that was installed on another machine, not only due to the legalities surrounding it, but also because Windows uses anti-piracy mechanisms like Product Activation).

In terms of efficiency, I believe Parallels is the better choice, but well-worth the investment if you can't find Mac versions of your needed software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.