Apple Cuts Airport Extreme prices

OP
S

Solafaa

Its a good think, if apple wants to compet with other computer makers. Why would someone buy an apple for $800 when he can get a dell for $500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Because Apples are better :p ! But seriously because TCO (total cost of ownership) is much lower on a Mac than on a Dell (or any Windows machine for that matter). Yes, the upfront costs are more, but the maintainence is lower and the lifespan of a Mac is much longer than a PC.

Also Mac's are so pretty compared to an ugly box and Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Apple for 800 or Dell for 500, after getting the Dell then buying all the extra software to defend that os... add the time to reboot, update virus info, run spyware and search and destroy... hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
When I bought my iMac last week they sold me the Airport Extreme card for $79. Maybe the store jumped the gun or it was a throw-in price because I bought a new iMac, not sure.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No more AirPort (non-extreme) cards

MacInTouch reported today that Apple has also discontinued the regular, non-extreme AirPort cards.

If you're planning to go wireless soon and you have an older iBook/eMac/iMac that doesn't support AirPort Extreme, you might want to find one before the stores run out of stock. Once they're gone, the only option is a USB adapter, and I'm not sure how well supported those are.

OP
M

MoltenLava

schweb said:
TCO (total cost of ownership) is much lower on a Mac than on a Dell (or any Windows machine for that matter).

Oh, come on now. We all love Macs, but let's not stretch too much.

I don't even like Dell, but I can't deny that even among the PCs, it's hard to beat Dell in terms of the value. A Mac is better than a PC because it's more user friendly and elegant, not because it's cheaper than a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Apple email to our store with new "suggested retail" prices from monday:

AirPort Extreme Base w/ modem & antennae jack = was $249, now$199.
AirPort Extreme Base without modem = was $199, now $179.
AirPort Extreme Card = was $99, now $79.

Apple 20" Cinema Display = was $1299, now $1199.
Apple 23" Cinema Display = was $199, now $1799.

unfortunately Apple 17" display remains $699, and AirPort Card (802.11b) remains $79

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.