Mac OSX (Tiger) Froze :: What happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Hello all,

I left my computer (13" MB) running iTunes and syncing w/ my iPod while I went to go take a shower the other morning.

When I returned about 20-30min later, the fan was going full speed, the mouse would move, but nothing else would function. In other words, i could motion the pointer but nothing responded to any clicks.

I tried doing Apple+Option+Esc, but no response at all. I finally had to hold down the power button to shut it off completely. When I restarted, everything came back up fine, albeit a little more slowly than usual. There was no panic log, nor was there any crash log left behind. The machine never presented a kernel panic either.

So far, the problem hasn't repeated itself but it's the first time it has ever happened on this machine.

I'm running iTunes 7.3.2 (6) (The latest one) with an iPod 5.5G 30GB

Also, I ran Apple Hardware Test and let it loop for a few hours and it polled no errors; I also ran memtestosx and let it loop for a while, no errors either.

What, if anything, caused this?

Many thanks, in advance!

I've attached a copy of my system.log and console.log

View attachment log.txt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
OS X isn't perfect, and sometimes even it will go wacky for seemingly no reason. I've had it happen doing different things from time to time. Likely it was a random incident. Trying to find the exact cause will be extremely difficult. All I know is that OS X has "issues" with USB. They also changed the way the OS handles USB in 10.4.10. Not sure if it is better or worse. My guess is your iPod did something the computer didn't like. But that's only a guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Like Joe Redifer said, things happen. If it is not an ongoing problem then there should be nothing to worry about. :)

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Thx guys... Everything seems to be running fine (at least for now) so it's probably just one-time fluke like you were saying. My "worry" is b/c classes start next week and I was hoping I didn't have bad hardware or anything...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.