Completely dead - is there a way to revive it?

Reaction score
Hello - I hope I'm in the right forum, please excuse me if I am not :[

I've got a MacBook, which until now has been just fine. Today, it just won't switch on - it's completely dead. The mains cable shows the little orange light, but the battery doesn't seem to be charging, and it won't come on whether the mains lead is attached or not. I thought it was the battery, so I tried the same battery in a friend's Macbook, and the battery doesn't work unless the laptop is connected to the mains, and it shows a charging time of 60 hours, so I assumed it was the battery. - Thinking that was the problem I then tried her battery in my Macbook, but there is still no response, so it seems that not only is my battery faulty, but also the internal power. I have no idea what may have caused this - is it a problem that anyone has heard of before and is there anything I might be able to do?

Thankyou in advance.

Mimi

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Eskimimi.

If you're still under AppleCare warranty I would give them a call.

Your MacBook probably has a battery that was manufactured by Sony. I don't know how many millions of notebooks were affected by this problem, not only Apple notebooks either, and Sony has to issue a major major recall on those.

And you might want to check this Apple Support page, MacBook and MacBook Pro Battery Update.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, MacHeadCase...

Well, at least I know it is a common problem - I'm not sure if it's under waranty still - I'll have to rifle through the cabinet to find them... Otherise I have no idea what I'll do :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you try powering the machine on with no battery at all and just the mains lead attached? Does anything appear on the screen at all?

The good news is that Apple has extended the warranty for some defective batteries out to two years. So, if yours is included in the problematic group, you should have no trouble getting it replaced (I did).

M

MacHeadCase

Since this is a manufacturer's defect, they'll replace it free.

Read the webpage I linked you to.

Just take your notebook to an Apple Store or Mac store near you. And tell them your MacBook is entitled to a new battery, bring along a print out of the Apple Knowledge Base article I linked you to.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and for linking to that article - I will do as you say!
cwa107 - yes, we did try with the MacBook, sans battery, and it is still dead...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.