opening downloads instead of saving in Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.10, 1GB DDR2, 2.16G Intel Core2 Duo Processor...
i am new to mac
We are using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on a mac 10.4.10...

I have configured firefox to open pdf files automatically when i click on a download pdf link.. each time i click on such a link the file is downloaded on to the desktop. and when i close working with firefox i have a huge pile of files on my desktop..

my question is.. is there anyway to prevent this from happening... I don't want them saved. i just want to open, view and close the files...

How to make firefox do it. any configurations or any options to set....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP: 2gig CD
you can get an add-on for firefox that gives the option to open it or save it or even view as html. its called "pdf download" and its available on the firefox extensions page.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply. but wat can i do for the rest of the file types. we use a web based solution here. i may have to open even docs, xls or some other files. wat can i do?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i got a temporary solution. i just got firefox to save the files in another folder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Saving to desktop is pretty sloppy. You should make a folder called "Downloads" inside of your ~/Documents/ folder. Tell FF to use that as your download folder.

Reaction score
I dont think you have much choice. Mac OS X has to mount the image and hence needs to have it saved on the Hard drive in some location at least!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.