G3 blue white OSX??- IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE INSTALL DISCS FROM SAY IMAC ETC......

Reaction score
greetings, just acquired a free g3 blue white rev1 mac for my dad to surf the net. Just wondered is it possible to run an OSX install disc from other macs such as EMAC, IMAC etc etc or does it have to be OSX off the shelf retail?

Also, for this particular model, what would be the best OSX version in your opinion to run on this machine (standard 300mhz, 512mb ram, 6gb HD, rev 1 board). Any help gladly appreciated. Sorry to bore you, as I can imagine this? has been asked a 1000 times before.

Thanks for your time, Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. No, for the most part, the disks that come with a Mac are specific to that model.
2. Even if it were, it would violate copyright law and the Mac OS license agreement to do so.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, symboleyes.

I would say that the best OS X version for that Power Mac would be Mac OS X Panther (10.3.x). It isn't filled with eye candy like Tiger is and doesn't demand too much horse-power and it was a very stable OS. The last version, 10.3.9 had ironed out pretty much all the bugs. It wouldn't hurt if you added some RAM, of course but 512 is ok.

Is the Blue&White running already running on OS X? If not, make sure you don't need any firmware updates.

And well we're here if anything should go wrong. Good luck! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.