80-90 GBs Gone MISSING?!

Reaction score
So I've been burning a ton of movies over the past few weeks. I use MacTheRipper and my save location is an external hard drive.

Recently I copied maybe 10 movies, and then I went to burn those movies onto disc and couldn't find any of them. They weren't in my external hard drive and they didn't show up under any Finder search.

However, in my Finder window, my "GB Available" is only shown at 31.14. I don't store ANYTHING on my internal hard drive except a few programs like MTR, Toast, Photoshop, etc. Only maybe 20 GB worth of stuff on my internal drive.

So... My 120GB drive is down to 31.14 and I can only imagine it's because those 10 movies I copied are somewhere on my internal drive. How can I find the 90GBs that have gone missing? I don't want to reformat and I certainly don't want to re-copy those 10 movies.

Thanks alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
you can probably search for VIDEO_TS files and you will be able to find where they are......keep in mind that the VIDEO_TS will already be in the movie folder, but it will show you where they movie folder is....go to your finder in the upper right hand corner to type it in...

OP
B
Reaction score
you can probably search for VIDEO_TS files and you will be able to find where they are......keep in mind that the VIDEO_TS will already be in the movie folder, but it will show you where they movie folder is....go to your finder in the upper right hand corner to type it in...

Yeah I tried that and the only _TS folders that showed up were the one that were already in my external drive. The 8-10 folders that are missing don't show up in any search, but the GBs are definitely missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
You haven't been playing with iMovie and have some imported clips or unfinished movie compilations do you? One or two of those can eat up that much drive space easily. I have never quite figured out why it does what it does with drive space while compiling movies and importing clips. Its crazy how much space it uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Some people are gonna come and say 'Ooh, yer rippin Dee Vee Deez! That's illegal get out of my forum right now'.

But I won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Some people are gonna come and say 'Ooh, yer rippin Dee Vee Deez! That's illegal get out of my forum right now'.

But I won't.

I don't believe any of the members will say that to him seeing as he's not asking us how to rip dvds, he's asking us where the movies went and where all the disk space went. The fact that he ripped the dvds is merely background information he gave us in which to assist him.

Reaction score
Just because you're burning dvds does not mean you're doing something illegal, backing up your own dvds is within law.

I've noticed this forum was all goody two-shoes... anal "rules" and whatnot. Looks like I won't be here for much longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
This is a very very crude method, I'm ashamed of sharing it.

Well, if its of any help, make a bootable disk of iDefrag and run a disk check. It will show you the files with the most fragments and your DVDs should be among those most fragmented files. Then search for it in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I've noticed this forum was all goody two-shoes... anal "rules" and whatnot. Looks like I won't be here for much longer.

You might want to stay away from the MacFixIt forums, then. They're much more "anal". Plus their visual layout and forum software are hideous.

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*

I have to admit it gets to be a pain to post X amount of times daily to read the forum rules and link to them. Like weren't people suppose to read them when they first entered their username in here, during the registration process? Weren't they supposed to read the rules again when the email notification was sent?

Anyway, granted this place isn't for everyone (otherwise the forum wouldn't have 17,000+ members but millions) and you go where you feel the most comfortable. I know I do. If it's too "anal" and too goody two-shoes for you, go where there are scuff marks. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just because you're burning dvds does not mean you're doing something illegal, backing up your own dvds is within law.

Actually it is illegal.

You're right about one thing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

Copying DVD's by any means is not legal under U.S. Law... which happens to be the law followed by these forums. It has nothing to do with being "goody two-shoes", it has to do with following U.S. Law.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.