Help with website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
i have been asked to help with a website for the students union for my college. their was a guy who started it using Wordpress (which i have only started using), but i am used to doing websites the old skool way. i just use Taco HTML editor and code it all by hand. I started posting up content today like accommodation and other information, but i seem to be having formatting issues. it looks a bit better on IE on a Pc, but on Safari on Mac its messy. The tables dont align up....its proably my code, but could some check the source code for the below pages and tell me whats wrong?

http://www.dkitsu.ie/?page_id=25

http://www.dkitsu.ie/?page_id=26

Reaction score
I don't konw php well enough, but I do know that table designs are frowned upon. thats your first step.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know php at all...why are they frowned upon ?

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have only started using Wordpress, so i need to learn about that too. i just want to be able to insert text, tables (where needed) and pictures.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Tables should only be used for displaying tabular data and NOT for design/layout.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only want to use it to display data.I only started using CSS, you think that could sort out my formatting issues with Wordpress..?? I just want it to look right on IE (pc) and Safari (mac) and of course Firefox...properly aligned etc..

Also has anyone tried WP-table pluggin for Wordpress?. i only came across it last night and it could have saved me alot of time for tables compared to writting the code out by hand...does the import .cvs function really work? I am using version 2.2.2 of Wordpress, i read on Wordpress that works on versions higher than 2.0.4, but only compatible up to 2.1..is this true?

Reaction score
I only want to use it to display data.I only started using CSS, you think that could sort out my formatting issues with Wordpress..?? I just want it to look right on IE (pc) and Safari (mac) and of course Firefox...properly aligned etc..

Also has anyone tried WP-table pluggin for Wordpress?. i only came across it last night and it could have saved me alot of time for tables compared to writting the code out by hand...does the import .cvs function really work? I am using version 2.2.2 of Wordpress, i read on Wordpress that works on versions higher than 2.0.4, but only compatible up to 2.1..is this true?

CSS is the best idea.
Theres lots of sites out there that can help you with it and have "recipes" that you might be interested in.

Google: "CSS Recipes"

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay ill check that out, thanx iRock..what county you in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What's the point of going through all the trouble to get DIVs and CSS to act like tables/cells. It's so much more code and headache. Just use tables.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did just use tables which i wrote by hand, and for some reason Wordpress doesnt like them, it displays them differently on different browsers, and id like it to look the same on all browsers. i am adding CSS to it now, some of the data in the table has to be edited so i may aswell throw in the CSS..if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free to say;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Tables are a big no no these days. Very crude. CSS offers so much more control.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tables are a big no no these days. Very crude. CSS offers so much more control.

Can you post a link if possible to give me an example of visual data using CSS without tables..?O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are tables a big no-no ?
What can't you do with a table that you can do with CSS? You can apply CSS to tables and cells.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Just let me get home.... can't do any work on this peecee...

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok..this is the situation:

I am using Taco HTML edit to write my HTML & CSS. When i am happy with the way it looks (using Taco with Safari to preview it), I then copy and paste the code from Taco edit into the page content of Wordpress. I then save it and preview it in Safari. Next I preview the page on a PC using IE 7 and make a contrast to that of Safari.

I have applied CSS to the following page with tables:

http://www.dkitsu.ie/?page_id=25

but Wordpress is not showing it, it seems fine when previewed with Taco + Safari.

Does this sound like a bad setup to be using? Is their any other software out their that i could use that would make these formatting issues a thing of the past ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a style sheet conflict.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a style sheet conflict.

You think that the style sheet i wrote is conflicting with the one from Wordpress ? I am pretty new to Wordpress so i am taking my time trying to learn more about it before trying changes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
your style sheet has html tags in it... clean those up! =)

<style>
table.contacts
{ width: 580px;
background-color: #fafafa;
border: 1px #000000 solid;
border-collapse: collapse;
border-spacing: 0px; }</p>
<p>
th.contactDept
{ background-color: #99CCCC;
border: 1px #000000 solid;
font-family: Arial;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 12px;
color: #404040; }</p>
<p>
td.contact
{;
text-align: left;
font-family: Arial;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: .7em;
color: #404040;
background-color: #fafafa;
padding-top: 4px;
padding-bottom: 4px;
padding-left: 8px;
padding-right: 0px; }
</style>

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didnt put them their !, Wordpress did. Wordpress added alot of HTML tags thats not needed to my code !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHZ White MacBook w/ 1 GB of RAM
Have you considered putting the CSS into your external stylesheet? That would make the extra tags that Wordpress puts in nonexistant. You could also turn off the visual editor, if you have that on (it's turned on by default).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.