Getting a G4, what can i do to it?

Reaction score
I'm getting a G4 tower from my work next week. I don't know which G4 but I'm fairly certain it has a firewire port on the back. Will there be much difference depending on whether i get the old g4's or the more recent ones?

secondly what on earth shpould i do to it to bring it up to speed so that i know thatfor my next 2 years at uiniversity i'll be covered. i don't mind spoending a bit of money seeinng as i got it for free, maybe even up to about 300/400 pounds. would this be wise, and if so then what should be addressed first?

I plan to use my mac for a bit of everything really. internet, watching movies, word processing and maybe even some very amateur video editing.

I know that sounds like quite a long blurb but i really need some guidance as i want this mac to be just right!

a premtive and hopeful thanks. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Pretty much everything you can do with an Intel Mac with the exception of running any kind of Windows stuff.

I had a G4 Mac Mini (still do, had two but gave one to my parents to get the to join the Light Side) and I found that I could do everything that I could do with my Linux or Windows machines, and that is why I'm typing this now on my (sort of new) Macbook.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I don't quite know what that will entail. will i need to put a new processor in?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thanks for the reply. I don't quite know what that will entail. will i need to put a new processor in?

When you get the machine, let us know the specs. Boot into the OS and click on the Apple at the Top Left corner of the screen, and on about this Mac. Tell us what it says and we can better help you. I have upgraded quite a few Macs and can give a lot of help.

The Price sure is right!!

Is the case Blue or Gray?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not sure as yet but I am under the impression that its a powermac G4 firewire 800.

I also know that the ram has been removed as they want to keep that. what could i do to it for a few hundred quid?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.