Printer advice for iMac

Reaction score
I bought a 20" iMac a month ago (don't get me started on the $300 price drop on the 2008 model).

Anyhew, I'm looking at options for a printer. My needs are minimal. Occasional printing of b&w documents, that's about it. My photo printing is outsourced. Not looking to spend a lot. Something small and portable would be nice, as I don't plan to have it connected all the time.

My other option would be to continue with my HP 712C...get a parallel/usb adapter and try to find drivers that will work, if they exist. Printer works fine.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I bought myself a Samsung ML-2010 for about $40 new at CompUSA (it was a Memorial Day sale). I also see HP laser printers under $100 all the time.

My recommendation, particularly if you plan on primarily printing B&W documents, is to stay away from inkjet printers. Lasers are so much faster and cheaper. Mine came with a "starter" cartridge that will do 1500 pages, and the replacement cartridges are about $100 and will do 3000 pages. Yeah $100 isn't cheap, but my inkjet B&W cartridges were $25 and would only print about 300 pages tops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I bought a 20" iMac a month ago (don't get me started on the $300 price drop on the 2008 model).

Anyhew, I'm looking at options for a printer. My needs are minimal. Occasional printing of b&w documents, that's about it. My photo printing is outsourced. Not looking to spend a lot. Something small and portable would be nice, as I don't plan to have it connected all the time.

My other option would be to continue with my HP 712C...get a parallel/usb adapter and try to find drivers that will work, if they exist. Printer works fine.

Suggestions?

If you have Apple store close, check in with them on a printer rebate. Looked like a pretty nice Canon. When I bought my MBP about a month ago they offered it to me. It was going to be free after the rebate. I passed because I didn't want it to mess up the iPod rebate offer I was going for.

You may be able purchase the printer and still get the rebate mailed in time. However you may have had to do it at the time of purchase, not sure. Might be worth asking about though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.