Trackpad Button

Ger

Reaction score
hi, seems the only time i ever post anything its a problem :(

maybe someone can help me, ive recently found a deterioration (sp) in my trackpad button, it slowly became unresponsive and now at this point it is unresponsive, i took the battery off and had a look, heres what i found :

the copper contact strips located just below the trackpad itself (theres a random open square hole here), the strip seems to have a kink in it and when i push down the button it barely hit off it.

so

what i did was carefully using a soft ended tip, tried to un-do the kink by pushing it straight out, i used a small bit of electrical tape to keep it in place. This seemed to work fine, but slowly became unresponsive again, but was still useable ( i just had the odd problem of dragging and dropping). i presumed the tape was undoing the stick by me clicking down and the kink coming back into place.

woke up this AM, and nothing is responding at all, even if i repeat my "solution".

any ideas?
regards
ger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
If you still have the comp under warranty bring it in. In the past, whenever I had a problem with my computer and it was under warranty I just bring it in and make them fix.

I figure if I paid for the warranty then I better get something out of it.

OP
G

Ger

Reaction score
thanks for the reply mate, i rang apple, im out of warranty :(. ive exams over the next 2 weeks in which this DOESNT help me.

thanks again

any ideas how much a basic repair might cost, roughly? lets say if i had to get that contact strip replaced?

also is there a way of enabling the trackpad to click without having to click the box? i actually laughed when i brought up a solution on apple.com telling me to enable this while i wait to bring it in for service, im like:

HOW CAN I SELECT THE BOX WHEN I CANT CLICK ON ANYTHING!?! lol:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
a small USB mouse could be your friend for a few weeks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
also is there a way of enabling the trackpad to click without having to click the box? i actually laughed when i brought up a solution on apple.com telling me to enable this while i wait to bring it in for service, im like:

HOW CAN I SELECT THE BOX WHEN I CANT CLICK ON ANYTHING!?! lol:)
Go find a USB mouse somewhere (You could even borrow one from a public PC in a lab or internet cafe for a minute if you had to.)

Open System Preferences, click on Keyboard and Mouse, click on the Trackpad tab, and enable the clicking gesture. Then just tap the pad to click. Probably the dragging as well.

Or go find a US$15 USB mouse and use that instead of the trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.