Buy now or wait for Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi all! My 3 year old IBM is slowly starting to self destruct. It started a few months ago with the power plug going wonky, now the cd burner won't burn cds, and to top it all off one of the metal hinges cracked completely in half! The thing has never been dropped or treated roughly, but I do carry it to school with me in a padded backpack (oh the horrors).

I know that Leopard is coming out sometime in October, and I was hoping to be able to make it until then with my gimpy IBM but honestly I'm really itching for a new laptop and I don't know if I can wait that long. Would it be worth it to limp my dying PC until October or would it be worth it to buy a macbook now and buy Leopard when it comes out? Does anyone anticipate Mac releasing newer versions of macbook or macbook pro when Leopard is released?

Are there any advantages to buying a macbook later on with Leopard already loaded onto it versus buying one now and loading it later (besides extra money spent to buy Leopard)?

The bottom line is that I'm wondering if I buy now, is something newer going to be released in a few months? Sorry if this is a bit long winded/convoluted but it's been a loooooong week at work ;D

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am actually in a quite similar situation with you, as I was (& am still ) researching on Macs for the past couple of weeks now. Was doing plenty of research on Macbook & all the other programs to make sure I know the Mac equivalent of Windows programs that I was used to.

I will be getting my first Mac (MB) in a weeks time!! will make sure I come out of the Apple store with one!.

Anyway, I'm no pro or a smart-*** & this isn't exactly an advice, but it's just that (from advices I have received) you wouldn't lose anything by getting a Mac now. You have plenty of time to get use to the Mac with Tiger, & maybe could even wait a couple more weeks/ months even after the release date of Leopard. Maybe by then, this forum would already be filled with thousands of stories/ problems/ advices on Leopard. all these can only be a gain.

Another advice I got was that if you keep waiting for something new or better to come out, you'll eventually end up with nothing. =). I am taking those advice anyway & ready to splash some money.

Hope this helps anyway. =D

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks! Your advice makes complete sense. I didn't even think of how learning how to Mac-it on a brand spankin new OS might be a bit tricky - what with everyone else learning at the same time too. It makes sense to start on Tiger and have the advantage of a few years worth of tutorials, FAQ's, etc. at my disposal.

That puts a couple more tics in the "buy one now, i'm impatient" column!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Quite honestly? I'd buy now.

Tiger is already a great OS, and would you really want to be a public beta tester for Leopard? Give it 3 - 6 months after it's released and then upgrade, it'll only be $129.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Reaction score
does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It won't. As ilife is only bundled with new macs. It won't come with the OS if you purchased it seperately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?

iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

-B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

-B

Aww geez. Whatta waste. They should bundle it with the OS, or at least have a promo when you buy Leopard.. like having iLife '08 by 50% off.

That'll be a customer attraction.

Reaction score

This seems to be a common misconception. Apple has promoted the concept "every new mac comes with iLife" which consumers translate that iLife is actually a part of the OS. I know, I was one of those.

Im waiting to upgrade to Leopard but Id ask the question somewhere else "why spend $79 on the new iLife when Leopard will be out in October (or so we think)" And of course the answer I got was iLife is a stand alone group of apps, its not integrated into the OS.

Reaction score
is there any chance of the uk getting the upgrade to ilife 08 for $9.99 if you recently purchased a mac. im after a macbook pro but they still have the 06 suite. no doubt us guys in the uk will have to pay £9.99, double the price the usa will :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB
I'm waiting until October before buying a new iMac. Don't want the extra expense of having to buy the Leopard upgrade and iLife 08 for it. Plus if there's any production problems with the new iMac, hopefully by October they'll have fixed them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.