Parallels vs. Boot Camp

Reaction score
OK, so I'm new to MAC's and I dont know the main difference between the two. I know that BootCamp is free, but I dont mind paying for Parallels is its better in a any specific way. How do the two differ, and what advantages do they have over one another? Thanks guys =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
In a nutshell, Parallels is a program that runs within OS X. You can then run Windows inside of Parallels. The benefit is that you get to run Windows and OS X apps simultaneously. The trade off is sharing resources between two operating systems - thereby slowing both down.

Boot Camp is special software that partitions (splits) your hard drive into two or more virtual pieces -- one for OS X, and others for Windows, Linux, etc. You'll then have a choice, when you start your Mac, to choose which operating system you want to use. The benefit is that, whether you're using OS X or Windows or Linux, you'll have all the system resources available. The trade off is that it's slower to shut down OSX, and reboot into Windows (and the reverse) than it would be to start a Parallels session.

Hope this helps!

J

PS... A word to the wise: folks around here refer to Macintosh computers as either Mac or mac - but never MAC. ;)

OP
porkchop_001
Reaction score
haha righteo, 'Mac' it is! Thanks for your help. I might go with the Parallels option seeings as though I wont be using Windows for anything more than to run my C# .NET Visual Basic program which doesnt demand much hardware wise. Thanks!! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Parallels works great for me. The only issue is that you need a full install version of windows [xp or vista]. Upgrade version is not officially supported. You could try the well known workaround but I wouldn't recommend it. The EULA means that legally you can only install Vista business or Ultimate on a VM.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Parallels works great for me. The only issue is that you need a full install version of windows [xp or vista]. Upgrade version is not officially supported. You could try the well known workaround but I wouldn't recommend it. The EULA means that legally you can only install Vista business or Ultimate on a VM.

Hope that helps.

That got changed. MS changed the EULA to allow virutalization of home basic and premium

Reaction score
OK, so I'm new to MAC's and I dont know the main difference between the two. I know that BootCamp is free, but I dont mind paying for Parallels is its better in a any specific way. How do the two differ, and what advantages do they have over one another? Thanks guys =)

Go to the section called Windows, Linux and others and look for my red chevie avatar, i wrote a small comparison of the two. Look in the thread called "I'm really confused about Bootcam and Parallels"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Now why is it that I installed Parallels (I have bootcamp currently) but when I launch XP through parallels XP wants me to re-register the OS .... then it can't connect to the internet because it's not "sharing" the network yet.

I would love to have a program like parallels because I take online college classes which requires Windows/IE/Microsoft Office crap... I can't launch my virtual campus on Safari either and Firefox messes up the discussion boards. So switching back and forth becomes a pain.

Editing to add too: I've also had windos crash on me within Parallels as well. This is also another frustrating thing with Parallels for me. Bootcamp seems to run windows beautifully.

Reaction score
VM Fusion is another option - I find it faster, and uses less RAM and CPU than Parallels (I have both programs).

Reaction score
VM Fusion is another option - I find it faster, and uses less RAM and CPU than Parallels (I have both programs).
I second this; VMware is also having a deal right now where you can get a $20 rebate off VMF if your in the US. Can't beat that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.