Assignment due using Windows.exe applications

Reaction score
I have a few assignments coming up for school and I need to use these programs:
-Microsoft Access
-Microsoft Excel
-Quincy.exe (C programming text editor and compiler)
-And maybe more that i've forgotten...

I've installed VMware Fusion and successfully installed Windows XP (virtual).
At the moment i'm also considering Parallels and Boot Camp.
I've also considered installing Mac equivalent software to do the job, like Open Office. I'm just worried using substitute programs for my school work may lead me to complicated problems. Example:

Teach will say: "open this do this and run this".
I will say: "Oh how do I do that on a Mac it's not the same".
Might leave a lot of open room for confusion...

The only problem I have with these virtual machines is I dont want to expend 50% of my computer resources emulating an OS just so I can run a couple of programs I need.

Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 2GB RAM
I would suggest going to your teacher to get extra help. If he doesn't want to help you then you need to go to someone above him as he shouldn't require you to be doing work with windows only programs, as you have a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
Just use Bootcamp and run it all natively??

OP
V
Reaction score
It's not one teacher specifically, it's all my subjects in general... It seems like PC is the standard and all work / programs / guides and instructions are presented for PC users.

It's going to take me time to fully be acquianted with Mac, but until then I think the only way i'm going to survive in a PC world is to be able to easily use their programs :S

For now, I just want to be able to get some of my work done... All I can do now is simple stuff like view PDF files and check my email.

OP
V
Reaction score
Just use Bootcamp and run it all natively??

Yeh but wouldn't that be the easy way out? Besides, OS X is beginning to grow on me and I'm actually trying to migrate to Mac completely.

I'm starting to get the hang of OS X and actually prefer using this than Windows XP, yuck. All I need is to be able to run a few programs so that I can get my work done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All I need is to be able to run a few programs so that I can get my work done...
That is exactly what Boot Camp and Parallels are made for... the occasional need to run Windows apps. Despite popular opinion, they were neither developed nor intended for running the Windows OS the majority of the time. If you have one or two Windows programs that you absolutely need to run, then use them.

However, if you need to run Windows for more than say 10% of your computing needs, then a Windows computer would be needed. It almost sounds like you meet that criteria and that a Windows machine would be your best bet, though.
-Microsoft Access
-Microsoft Excel
The Office apps can be replaced with Mac-friendly versions, but the rest probably can't.
If I were you, I would double check the school/course requirements for computing hardware and see if it indeed calls for a Windows computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Depending on your assignments, you may not be able to complete your assignments without using Windows (via Parallels, VM Fusion, or Boot Camp).

For example: If your assignment is to create a spreadsheet that does X, Y, and Z, you'll be fine with Mac Excel or OpenOffice Calc... Same thing if you need to create a web page that draws information from a database (Apache/MySQL), or develop a working calculator using the C language.

But if the courses you're taking are program specific (Developing Desktop Applications with Access 2007, or Programming Vista Applications in C), you might find yourself screwed.

Perhaps if you could shed more light on the specific end-goals you're trying to achieve (rather than the programs you're trying to duplicate), we can better help.

J

OP
V
Reaction score
Okay for the sake of a quick response i'll speak from memory, but i'll take a more thorough look into my course outline later.

As far as I know, for my Introduction to Business Information Systems subject, we're learning how to use Access and Excel.

For my Programming subject, we're learning C from scratch.

I want to be about to use quincy.exe and notepad.exe because these are excellent text editors for coding.

I need PDF reader for lectures and stuff but Mac can already handle that... I hope this is enough information am I leaving anything out?

*Oh and also is "Mac Excel" the Mac version of Microsoft Excel / Office?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
To your immediate problem, you might be able to get away with using OpenOffice's Calc and Base programs for your Intro to BIS course -- depending on how the teacher will grade you (by ability to operate assigned program, or by the ability to complete assigned objectives).

As for programming C -- you should be able to use Xcode for your work. Also this eBook from Dave Mark might help if you're having trouble using Mac based tools... http://www.spiderworks.com/books/learncmac.php... (The link to buy is in the upper right corner -- I nearly missed it myself...)

If you don't mind my asking, whats your major? And what do you want to do when you graduate? The bits you shared make it look like you're a CIS or MIS major.

*Yes... When I said "Mac Excel" I meant the Mac version of Microsoft Excel. Sorry.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
when i did GNVA ICT at highschool only about 2 years ago. i was graded on how i used the program to create the item not how well i make the item its self. and it was ALL windows based. i didnt have my mac then . wish i had would have been great giving screenshots using photoshop on mac instead of using paint shop pro. etc

i would have found mac requlivents anyways.
atleast my pie charts would look better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I would suggest going to your teacher to get extra help. If he doesn't want to help you then you need to go to someone above him as he shouldn't require you to be doing work with windows only programs, as you have a mac.

This doesn't make sense. They're teaching a certain subject and cirriculum and program. How are you going to tell them that they're wrong when it's what you're paying to go to school for. Using a mac is fine and dandy, but trying to have a school forced to teach something that isn't the industry standard is tough.

If you're taking a programming class that focus on the .net languages, how are you going to complain because you're using an OS that doesn't support the language you're trying to learn.

Edit: To also add to this, certain courses teach certain programs for a reason. Either for some reason like the software is the industry standard (like Photoshop) and you're more likely to get a job if you know the software every one uses, or it's a program or tool that in learning will help you step up to another level or another program or tool in the next class...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The Office apps can be replaced with Mac-friendly versions, but the rest probably can't.
If I were you, I would double check the school/course requirements for computing hardware and see if it indeed calls for a Windows computer.

This guy should probably run bootcamp or parallels. I don't know of anything on a mac that would replace Access in the fact that once you get past our basic db stuff, Access uses VB programming for a lot of the more "complicated" features. I doubt if that's the focus of the course, to learn Access, then the teacher would be very happy if you're trying to program on a mac db using an entirely defferent language.

Reaction score
I have a few assignments coming up for school and I need to use these programs:
-Microsoft Access
-Microsoft Excel

I've installed VMware Fusion and successfully installed Windows XP (virtual).
At the moment i'm also considering Parallels and Boot Camp.
I've also considered installing Mac equivalent software to do the job, like Open Office. I'm just worried using substitute programs for my school work may lead me to complicated problems. Example:

Teach will say: "open this do this and run this".
I will say: "Oh how do I do that on a Mac it's not the same".
Might leave a lot of open room for confusion...

The only problem I have with these virtual machines is I dont want to expend 50% of my computer resources emulating an OS just so I can run a couple of programs I need.

Any recommendations?

Stick with VMWARE fusion.

Thats not how VMWARE works... its pretty smart actually. Its doesnt drain your resources. You can set it so that your main priority can be Mac OS X or alternatively your VMWARE running XP ----- or whatever operating system you choose.

;D

Reaction score
This doesn't make sense. They're teaching a certain subject and cirriculum and program. How are you going to tell them that they're wrong when it's what you're paying to go to school for. Using a mac is fine and dandy, but trying to have a school forced to teach something that isn't the industry standard is tough.
Exactly, Im sitting here at work on my (personal) mac surrounded by PC's. School teaches to the industry standard. If you do it in school on mac when you get out into the real world you'll more than likely be sitting infront of a Window's machine.

Hate to say it but maybe you should consider buying a cheapie windows machine, the programs you are talking about running should run fine on almost anything. You can pick one up for 200-300 which would be enough to run office and other basic programs (live in socal? I've got a XP machine w/ office I'd love to get rid of you can have for next to nothing if you pick it up)

Reaction score

What a ridiculous statement. In fact, many school curriculum's will require that you have a Windows platform for coursework. In your case what if someone is running linux? Or they don't have a computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
have you tried WINE? http://winehq.com

you can convert those programs to mac format and run em nativly, no windows needed ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
have you tried WINE? http://winehq.com

you can convert those programs to mac format and run em nativly, no windows needed ;)

I don't think WINE will work with Access since it requires bits from other windows libraries and stuff. You would have to convert the whole .NET framework and I don't know if that's possible. Could try it I guess...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This guy should probably run bootcamp or parallels. I don't know of anything on a mac that would replace Access in the fact that once you get past our basic db stuff, Access uses VB programming for a lot of the more "complicated" features. I doubt if that's the focus of the course, to learn Access, then the teacher would be very happy if you're trying to program on a mac db using an entirely defferent language.

Agreed. For basic stuff I think Open Office would do some of what Access does, but nothing I have used on any platform will do all of what Access does and the way it does it. I would for sure suggest Parallels or Bootcamp and running Access.

OP
V
Reaction score
To your immediate problem, you might be able to get away with using OpenOffice's Calc and Base programs for your Intro to BIS course -- depending on how the teacher will grade you (by ability to operate assigned program, or by the ability to complete assigned objectives).

As for programming C -- you should be able to use Xcode for your work. Also this eBook from Dave Mark might help if you're having trouble using Mac based tools... http://www.spiderworks.com/books/learncmac.php... (The link to buy is in the upper right corner -- I nearly missed it myself...)

If you don't mind my asking, whats your major? And what do you want to do when you graduate? The bits you shared make it look like you're a CIS or MIS major.

*Yes... When I said "Mac Excel" I meant the Mac version of Microsoft Excel. Sorry.

J

I'm doing Network Design and Security. After graduation I want to make something big like google, youtube, ebay and wikipedia. Ambitious goals, but thats the aim / direction I'm persuing.

Here is my first attempt: http://ipn-acn.com

OP
V
Reaction score

If you're taking a programming class that focus on the .net languages, how are you going to complain because you're using an OS that doesn't support the language you're trying to learn.

Edit: To also add to this, certain courses teach certain programs for a reason. Either for some reason like the software is the industry standard (like Photoshop) and you're more likely to get a job if you know the software every one uses, or it's a program or tool that in learning will help you step up to another level or another program or tool in the next class...

I think you've got the wrong picture, i'm not trying to force / complain / argue about anything.

I bought a Mac because I was convinced it was a reliable machine and with the student discount how could I refuse. Anyway, the point is i'm just trying to live in harmony in this PC dominated world. So all I need to do, is find a solution for this problem and that is probably by either using VM Fusion or Boot Camp.

Just trying to weigh up which is the lesser of two evils at the moment...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.