Where is the "open file types with..." Option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
I have VLC installed along with Quick Time. Some video files open in VLC, while others open in QT. I would like to not have to drag the file to VLC on the dock or right click and "open with...VLC." Neither app seems to have options for what file types they open, and I can not find a similar option in Finder. If I go to "Open with... Other..." and choose VLC and select "Always open with," that file will open in VLC, but not other files of the same type. Is there a way to tell OSX what app to use for each file type?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when you do "get info" for a file of a given type, check the "opens with" option (may be called somthing different, i'm no on my mac). choose the app you want and check the box to have it always use the app chosen.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Oh, Thank you! There is a "Change All" option in the "get Info" window, and that did it! Thanks for your speedy help, eric!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Sometimes, this does not work. Why would that be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.