Can I use a working g5 macbook to reboot hd on "crashed" g4 powerbook?

Reaction score
I have a huge problem with my g4 powerbook, when I try to start up the screen blinks once and then brings me to a blinking "?" alternating with a mac-face icon. I have tried to hold down option and shift (seperatley) after the start up noise and it brings me to a bluescreen with a right arrow button and a refresh button.I believe the drive is corrupted. My question is: can I reboot the o/s in my g4 via firwire from a working g5 macbook. and if so... how can this be done. If anyone has any solutions for a humble and frustrated protools-less musician, please please! help me out.:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. Connect the 2 machines via Firewire, boot the G4 and hold down the "T" key. You'll see the Firewire symbol on the screen shortly and in a perfect world the G4s Hard Drive will mount on the G5s desktop. You can then utilize disc utility to try and repair the G4.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you. I am ready to do this right now. I only have one additional question: because the working g5 is my roommates computer, and she is all nervous and whiney, worried (which I guess is not so outrageous) that this method may end up crashing her computer or having the same problem that is affecting my g4 transfer over to her g5 and crash again. Do you think this is possible, as we do not have the money to find out the hard way. or is it what I'm telling her that once we disconnect the firewire her g5 will be back to normal. thanks for your time (sorry for the essay!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No, it won't do anything bad. I did this yesterday to run a fix on my Quad G5 from my iBook G4. It's mounts as just another drive, same as if it were installed in an external Firewire drive enclosure.

OP
M
Reaction score
cool, thanks. I see yer posts and I do not doubt you, you have always been right on. My roomate was just scared to do it because we don't really know what we're doing. but I'm going for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
There is no such thing as a G5 MacBook.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well the webcam on my G5 MacBook Pro staring me in the eye must be an illusion then and so must this messege seeing as I'm typing it on my G5 MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.