iMac or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
It's been seven or eight years since I last used a mac, so I'm a little unfamiliar with some of the finer points of OSX. That said, I've done my homework on the hardware and I've narrowed it down to two options.

The 24 inch (2.4 GHz) iMac or the 15 inch (2.2 GHz) Macbook Pro.

I intend to use the machine for a number of things; audio/video/photo editing and writing.

I can get more for the money with an iMac, which should come in handy with the resource-hungry software A/V editing involves. However, I like the idea of being able to take my work with me; a definite plus for a writer (or anyone else who prefers office work outside the office).

Having no hands-on experience with either machine, I thought I'd ask for some advice, suggestions, and opinions.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Well, it really depends if you want power over portability.

If you would rather have a faster machine and be limited to a desk or have a great computer but with portability.

Personally, I would get the iMac (Like I am doing, haha). That way, if you don't like the Macbook Pro keyboard (Or iMac, for that matter) then you can get another and not have to be limited of your portability by taking your keyboard around with you to type properly.

But it's really up to which you prefer, and, of course, your wallet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Both machines are great. And should handle what you like just fine. But I would like to make a few comments on both for you. In regard to answering your question.

imac - If you don't need the portability get this one. Just beware the screen is glossy. And there seems to be a love/hate relationship with this. The same with the new keyboard. There's always last revisions white imacs with the matte screen. But I dunno if you'd want this or if you can get them new anymore. I really suggest you go to a mac store and have a loot at it. And have a go at one.

macbook pro - More expensive. But portable. I say only get this if you really need a portable mac. If you do then you'll love it. If not have a look at the current and last revision imacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.