Outside Temperature Vs. Macbook

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I live in Canada and as you may know we experience all the seasons here. I am just curious about how the outside weather affects Macbooks when they are exposed to it (e.g. If I leave my Macbook 2.0 in the trunk of my car for a couple of hours). What does extreme cold temperatures and extreme hot temperatures do to the Macbook.

Thanks,

Lewis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Hey everyone,

I live in Canada and as you may know we experience all the seasons here. I am just curious about how the outside weather affects Macbooks when they are exposed to it (e.g. If I leave my Macbook 2.0 in the trunk of my car for a couple of hours). What does extreme cold temperatures and extreme hot temperatures do to the Macbook.

Thanks,

Lewis

I would advise against leaving your MB in your trunk which exposes it to heat/cold. Extreme heat hurts the battery and most likely the rest of your laptop.

Check this site out. http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

OP
L
Reaction score
Man that sucks.... So don't keep in my car for more than an hour whens it brutally cold? That might be difficult.

Lewis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
The low temperature won't damage it so much as high temperatures (you can extend the life of batteries by keeping them in the fridge... they don't like hot temperatures though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Man that sucks.... So don't keep in my car for more than an hour whens it brutally cold? That might be difficult.

Lewis

Let your MB come to room temp before turning it on after being in the cold. I read that somewhere, might have been on this forum or from the Apple booklet that came with my computer.

Reaction score
Yeah if you are leaving it in cold weather (I live in Edmonton.. TRUST ME) it won't break the laptop, however, if you bring it inside when it's been in -30 all day and turn it on, condensation will build inside the laptop and could potentially fry the logic board.. Just make sure the laptop sits to come close to room temperature and you should be ok. I've left laptops in my trunk all day in -20ish weather and let them sit for a couple hrs and nothing bad happened.

TWM

Reaction score
if you *must* leave it in your trunk, i would advise getting a very thick case to help insulate it as much as possible. All in all, electronics are not the best devices to leave in extreme temperature conditions...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.