• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook Pro or new Imac

Reaction score
I am buying a new computer when leopard releases. I have a Ibook G4 right now that i use all the time, and bring everywhere with me.I go to the nj shore every weekend in the summer since my aunt has a house there. If I get the Imac, I can just delete all my programs and songs off of my ibook and put them on the imac and just use the ibook to bring with me to upload pics to it when i go shoot somewhere, then i would have to transfer them when i get home. But the problem is that i like to have my music and stuff with me all the time. So that means go for the macbook pro right? IDK what to do. The new Imac is awesome. and i would love the 24" screen.But if I got the macbook pro, i would be able to connect it to my samsung 23". Let me know what you think. Mabe I could just reformat my ibook, and put photoshop onto it but no music and i would have to wait until i got home to update my shuffle or iphone.
Plus i would have a huge 320gb HD with the Imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Unless you are truly doing professional video editing or something of that nature than the mac pro is sorta overkill. Withe the upgrades that the new imacs have recieved there is suffecient power to handle photoshop and the like. I have the core2 duo imac (white) and it has 3 gigs of ram, and i can run photoshop, aperture, and dreamweaver all at tthe same time without a hitch. Now if you plan on using the machine for professional usees the mac pro is beneficial becasue it can easily be upgraded. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
sounds like you could just buy an external HD to hold your music then you could carry your ibook around for pictures and still have your music with you

OP
W
Reaction score
Unless you are truly doing professional video editing or something of that nature than the mac pro is sorta overkill. Withe the upgrades that the new imacs have recieved there is suffecient power to handle photoshop and the like. I have the core2 duo imac (white) and it has 3 gigs of ram, and i can run photoshop, aperture, and dreamweaver all at tthe same time without a hitch. Now if you plan on using the machine for professional usees the mac pro is beneficial becasue it can easily be upgraded. Hope this helps.

I didnt plan on getting a mac pro. it is between a imac and mbp. I do use it for uploading tons of pics and use photoshop and will use aperature

Reaction score
I didnt plan on getting a mac pro. it is between a imac and mbp. I do use it for uploading tons of pics and use photoshop and will use aperature

I'd go with the MBP. You're already using a laptop so it seems more suited to your lifestyle. I went from an iBook to a desktop and wish I hadn't, really missed the portability. That's why in October I'm getting a MBP.

Reaction score
Yeah, since you already have a laptop, might as well get the MBP. ;) I may be a little biased, but I love being able to lug it around everywhere I go. As Skye suggested, get an external drive. I have the 250gb WD passport that's really small and uses only a usb for power which works fine for my MBP. Good luck. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

oops sorry misread the post. In that case then go for the mbp. I use one for travel purposes and it runs apereture and photoshop with ease.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.