Upgrade Delima--Need Suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Recently purchased my first Mac ever...Macbook 2Ghz, 1GB, 80GB w/ superdrive.

It was intended to be an experiment to see if I liked the Mac, so I went to the Big Box store and picked up an open-box unit to return without a re-stocking fee if the Mac was not for me. So far I love it and it's a keeper...sort of...

I ended up selling 3 old Windows laptops to 'fund' my Macbook, since I didn't need the 'old dogs anymore....so I'm into this open-box Macbook for net $220 out-of-pocket...not bad.

After my purchase, I found out that a co-worker of mine has a relative who works at Apple and can purchase a new Macbook for me at discount. So basically, I can get a 2.16, 2GB, 120GB w/ superdrive for a net $300 more (or less if I buy the memory elsewhere and upgrade myself). I assume that the new Macbook comes with either iLife '08 or the $10 upgrade voucher...so there's a bit more added value there too.

I've got until Friday to make a decision before I exceed Big-Box's return policy time-frame. What to do....upgrade or keep what I got?

Reaction score
I say definitley do the upgrade...u will definitley see the advantages of the extra hard drive and ram! ....but you do mean that you will be paying an extra $80 (300-220) from what ur already paying for the 2ghz model right?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I say definitley do the upgrade...u will definitley see the advantages of the extra hard drive and ram! ....but you do mean that you will be paying an extra $80 (300-220) from what ur already paying for the 2ghz model right?
What I mean is that after I sold my old Windows laptops, that money + another $220 got me the open-box Macbook. If I buy from my co-worker's relative, it'll cost me about $300 on top of the $220 out-of-pocket..so $520 total. (Actually, more like $420 since I just bought 2GB on a 'killer deal at Buy.com for some DDR2).

If I kept the open-box, I'd still have to eventually upgrade the HDD...but I could always use that as an external drive later or an Airdisk if I chose to buy an Airport base station. I can always "get" iLife '08 elsewhere buy would rather not. Really it comes down to the fact..is 120GB vs 80GB hard drive and 2.16Ghz vs 2.0Ghz really worth the extra $220? The open-box is a little scratched up..cosmetic only, but I would be getting a fresh new unit from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
I would say no. If the total price to upgrade is $420, you could buy a 200gb hard drive, ilife '08 and probably still have change in your pocket. It comes down to the 2.16ghz processor and If you feel that makes the deal more worth it. And you would also have your 80gb as an external, so there's 280gb. Check out newegg.com. I'm sure you could get a hard drive pretty cheap and a case to make your old one external. But either way, no matter what you decided, you'll still have a great mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I would say no. If the total price to upgrade is $420, you could buy a 200gb hard drive, ilife '08 and probably still have change in your pocket. It comes down to the 2.16ghz processor and If you feel that makes the deal more worth it. And you would also have your 80gb as an external, so there's 280gb. Check out newegg.com. I'm sure you could get a hard drive pretty cheap and a case to make your old one external. But either way, no matter what you decided, you'll still have a great mac.
Yea...I'm beginning to think that I should just upgrade at a later date (HDD and iLife) when I outgrow them. By that time, a 200GB drive would be cheaper that it is today.
The scratches can be polished out easily and I'm ging to buy a clear skin for the outsides and wrist-rest to keep it looking new.

My only fear is that the Big-Box store told me that Apple may not warranty the unit with the factory 1-year as it was an open box unit. The big-box store said they would honor the warranty in-house. It's something I don't really want to test out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"|matte display|OS X 10.4|2.2ghz intel
I ended up selling 3 old Windows laptops to 'fund' my Macbook, since I didn't need the 'old dogs anymore....so I'm into this open-box Macbook for net $220 out-of-pocket...not bad.

so you sold the 3 laptops and then used $220 of your own money?

I've got until Friday to make a decision before I exceed Big-Box's return policy time-frame. What to do....upgrade or keep what I got?

wouldn't you get the $220 back when you return the computer? then only have to spend $300, so really only $80 more for the better computer? Did I follow that correctly?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
so you sold the 3 laptops and then used $220 of your own money?

wouldn't you get the $220 back when you return the computer? then only have to spend $300, so really only $80 more for the better computer? Did I follow that correctly?
No....

Option A.) I would return the open-box unit for full refund, then buy through co-worker ---> that costs me $420 cash + [revenue from 3 laptops sold]

Option B.) Keep open box unit. That costs me ---> $220 cash + [revenue from 3 laptops sold].

I's roughly $200 more expensive for me to buy the new one. It would have been a bit more (~$350) as in my original post but I just bought 2GB of memory on my own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"|matte display|OS X 10.4|2.2ghz intel
No....

Option A.) I would return the open-box unit for full refund, then buy through co-worker ---> that costs me $420 cash + [revenue from 3 laptops sold]

Option B.) Keep open box unit. That costs me ---> $220 cash + [revenue from 3 laptops sold].

I's roughly $200 more expensive for me to buy the new one. It would have been a bit more (~$350) as in my original post but I just bought 2GB of memory on my own.

yeah well... I would go for the upgrade if only because it's new. I would hate to have such an expensive piece of equipment that is out of warranty right from the get-go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Yea...I'm beginning to think that I should just upgrade at a later date (HDD and iLife) when I outgrow them. By that time, a 200GB drive would be cheaper that it is today.
The scratches can be polished out easily and I'm ging to buy a clear skin for the outsides and wrist-rest to keep it looking new.

My only fear is that the Big-Box store told me that Apple may not warranty the unit with the factory 1-year as it was an open box unit. The big-box store said they would honor the warranty in-house. It's something I don't really want to test out.

Apple will honor the one year warranty wether or not it is open box. You should call tech support and they will be able to tell you if you are with in your 90 days of phone support and how far into the one year warranty you are.

But regardless of all that, you have 90 days of phone support and 1-year hardware warranty from the date of purchase. You would just need to play a lot of phone tag and fax in your proof of purchase, i.e. receipt. A mac is a mac. The store you bought it from is an authorized apple retailer and apple has to honor it's own police which states that you get 90 days and one year from date of purchase. A box makes no difference, the computer is still new. The only difference would be if you bought it used from a person.

And as far as the math for your mac, newegg has a 250GB HD for $189. The case to make your old HD external is $30 and ilife is $79. So, $298 to do what you want and $122 left over in your pocket! Anyway, good luck and call tech support, it will be worth your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
upgrade ! it will be worth it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
yeah well... I would go for the upgrade if only because it's new. I would hate to have such an expensive piece of equipment that is out of warranty right from the get-go.
Well...it looks like Apple is going to stand behind the warranty as if it was a new purchase. Does that change your opinion?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I've decided to keep the open-box 2.0Ghz Macbook. I'm leaning towards using the potential upcharge of a new Macbook to buy an Airport Express Base Station and external drive as an Airdisk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Definately check out Newegg for upgrades. I just bought a 250GB hard drive, an ICY Box case for my current 80GB hard drive, and 2GB of Ram, total cost was just under $300. Ordered Wednesday, order arrived today! Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!!!!

On that note, can I copy my 80GB image/data over to the 250GB somehow? That'd save me from installing OSX, bootcamp, vmware and all my data. Any input would be appreciated. Don't mean to hijack the thread! O:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Definately check out Newegg for upgrades. I just bought a 250GB hard drive, an ICY Box case for my current 80GB hard drive, and 2GB of Ram, total cost was just under $300. Ordered Wednesday, order arrived today! Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!!!!

On that note, can I copy my 80GB image/data over to the 250GB somehow? That'd save me from installing OSX, bootcamp, vmware and all my data. Any input would be appreciated. Don't mean to hijack the thread! O:)
A friend of mine swears that Carbon Copy (http://www.bombich.com) was the easiest way that he's ever done this. Carbon Copy makes a bit-for-bit copy. I think all you need to do is put the new drive in an ext enclosure and run CC.
Good Luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.