ReCompiling Linux software (.rpm .debian etc..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Hello

As MacOSX is a unix based system, is it possible to run Linux based applications on MacOSC/Macbook with out the use of a VM?

If it is, what is required, what software is needed and how do you actually go about re compiling the software?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
YES! It is very possible. See DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.com). This is essentially a source level Linux distro for your Mac, complete with excellent package management. In a normal Linux distro, you download a package and it downloads and installs all the dependencies as well. In DarwinPorts, you do the same thing, but the packages are source level, not binary. It compiles/builds them on the spot and then installs. It is seamless, if a little slower.

I use DarwinPorts to keep all of my Linux favorites up and running on my Mac. Check it out - it is a nice product, and in the true Linux spirit, it is FREE (as in beer)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.