• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie08 problem importing files !!!

Reaction score
i have recently bought the new imac 24" and am new to macs (so please bear with me), i was told imovie08 would work with the file format of .mod on the jvc harddisk camcorder i own, for some unknown reason imovie08 will import some files but only about half the files with no audio. i was recommended by apple to use 'visualhub' to convert the files to mp4 then imovie would import no problem. i have tried to do this and when i import into imovie all the files are corrupted i can see the video in the edit menu at the bottom but when i come to play the file it is all corrupted/breaking up, can anyone offer any suggestions? (apart from buying a dv camcorder)

someone said macs were so user freindly !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
well im sorry to hear that. me, as a JVC and mac user, i dont have iMovie '08, but my JVC GZ-HD7 writes .TOD files, which dont work well with iMovie. Something you could TRY is downloading mplayer for mac (free) and then changing the file name from .MOD to .mpg. open it in mplayer and you should get audio and video, which you then can import to imovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.