Why am I Crashing.....

Reaction score
had this dual g4 quicksilver since 2001 & os9...I now have had X for over a year no problems whatsoever......

now I can barely get this typed, before she crashes....no matter what ap i'm in.......froze......

sometimes she stops before even getting to the desktop layout....:Grimmace:

any ideas or tips would be great... I try a disk utility, but it crashes, I tried to download the new os update, freeeeeze....

thanks- josh

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? Does the whole OS Freeze or just the application? Do you get that Kernel Panic screen telling you to restart?

Have you added any RAM recently?

Also do you have your OSX CD? If so try booting with that and just before you hit install run Disk Utility there from one of the Drop Down menus.

OP
marleymon
Reaction score
running 10.4.8 currently.....the whole OS is freezing.....seems like on a timer....no ram added- i'm maxed out.....it just started happening....of course the same day I razed a co-worker for buying a dell lapcrap.....

i'ma try a disk utility again....

M

MacHeadCase

When this started to happen? Did you install software? Did you add any new peripheral to your setup?

Can you start up from Apple's Hardware Test? It should be in the original restore disks that came with your Power Mac. When prompted, ask for the extended test.

Report back and let us know how this goes.

OP
marleymon
Reaction score
well I made it through the disk util....everything checked out fine...but it froze as soon as I closed the utility...... and has froze 4 times since.....even trying to write this....
I have that hardware test, but I think it's an os9 disk.....no periphs, and no software other than a recent 'mplayer osx' a few weeks back....

are there any other utils besides the disk utility to try?

M

MacHeadCase

If you still have OS 9 on your Mac, try booting from the Hardware Test and running it.

OP
marleymon
Reaction score
k... but I'm going downhill fast........ it's barely getting past the grey startup to the macOSx startup (usually very fast).....and freeeeeze....

i'll be back soon...hopefully...

OP
marleymon
Reaction score
well I had a power supply replaced after being zapped (i think) by a mac shop in a2...but that was 2 years ago.....

nope- froze during the techtool deluxe appplication on the Applecare cd....:[

problem is, I only have an original osX cd, I can't find my tiger cd anywhere....:Oops:

this literally started yesterday....and seems to be getting progressively worse.....
I opened my tower...:eek: soooo much dust... I have to clean this out...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For sure clean out the dust. If it really clogged it could be getting hot. Be sure fans are running. It could be a Ram Chip going bad. Try taking them out one by one. The 450 Dual should have 4 Ram Sockets. Also I have had dirty RAM slots cause Lockups and Kernel Panics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.