Hook up Apple Mac Mini to TV, Instructions? Options

Reaction score
Hey there, I want to help a firend hook up their Mac Mini to their TV.

This is what she wants to do..

Have just the Mac Mini, Mouse and Keyboard out.

She wants to use the TV as a screen, and the TV speakers as the computer speakers..

What will I need to buy and any settings need to be set on the Mac itself?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It depends on the tv. I have a mini hooked up to my Sharp Aquos 52" LCD via an HDMI port. I simply use a DVI to HDMI converter cable that you can pick up at Wal-Mart or any other electronics store. I plug the DVI end into the back of the mini and the HDMI end into my tv. As for sound, I have a 1/8th inch mini jack to left/right RCA cable. I have the 1/8th inch mini jack (headphone jack) plugged into the mini and the left/right RCA connections (red and white) plugged into the back of my surround receiver. You could just plug that into the tv if you don't have a receiver. If you don't have HDMI or DVI ports on your tv, the mini comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor. If the tv has VGA you could use that. If you don't have VGA either, you can purchase a DVI to Video adapter from Apple. This adapter gives you S-Video and and RCA Video connection (the yellow one). I am able to stream audio and video from my other Macs to the mini and only use it as a media center. Much more functional than an AppleTv. Hope this helps (and makes sense).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm planning on doing this myself, but haven't gotten a Mini yet. I've done some searching though, and a great website with all kinds of info like this is www.123macmini.com. Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
i did it...with a vga cable...the mini comes with a DVI to VGA converter...plugged the converter to the mini...then the vga to the tv. It worked, but because the mini doesn't have that great wifi, i swapped it with my cube instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I should be picking up a PowerMac G4 dual 1GHz next week and want to turn it into a media center Mac. Will the quality be a lot higher if I connect it to my 32" 720p Samsung if I connect it using HDMI over VGA?
Also, does anyone know if I could install one of those compatible video cards and run myth TV on a mac as well?
Bryan

Reaction score
Thank you all. My first mini had a hard drive problem Now a second older mac hookd up to monitor had to but a thunder adaptor and another cable.
but one day I"ll likely have another go with a bigger TV.
It's true you are sincerely intersted in helping others. Good karma.
thanks barb
pryphotoguy, dmdelsol97 fleurya bryanduke1 bryanduke1 i tsolaaa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.