why cant you dual boot tiger and xp?

Reaction score
is there an alternative to make them work correctly? like being able to do updates etc.
right now am dual booting mac tiger and xp but on mac i can only download universal downloads, and i like to dl all kinds of stuff not only universal.

or do i forcely have to wait for leopard version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
...Wait, what???

Uh... using Boot Camp, you can dual boot between Mac OS X Tiger and Windows XP.

What do you mean by "universal downloads"??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If I understand you correctly... I am assuming you are running an Intel machine, which means you would have to download software that is either Intel-native or Universal. Anything else (PPC or Classic) would likely not work well or be completely non-functional and irrelevant for your machine.
Leopard won't change any of this as it has to do with the processor your machine has, not the OS.

As far as dual booting, you yourself have already explained that this is indeed possible and that you are currently doing so. Dual booting would have absolutely nothing to do with being able to download Universal/Non-Universal software.

OP
R
Reaction score
yeah, lissen am asking cause many people tell me its possible and everything, but my computer technician tells me that not every software will work, and that i can't do any updates.

so i dint lissen to him, and just did an update, when i clicked restart it took forever so i left the computer on for like 7 hours, after that i just turned it off and after that, i tried to turn it on again it said ''darwinx86 error'' and it just rebotted itself. so i guess he was right.

So how can it be my processor, i CAN do mostly everything in my Mac.

(btw, technician said something about Mac being native or something like that, which i truly dint understood at all.)
(another side note, he told me everything should work when Leopard comes out, i dunno if that relevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What are you talking about? If you're asking whether you can dual boot, the answer is yes. Apple makes something called Boot Camp that lets you install Windows XP/Vista side by side with OS X.

Having two operating systems should have no effect on updates to either applications or your operating system. OS X will download its updates and Windows XP will download its updates, regardless of the fact that both are on the same machine.

As for the Universal thing. What do you mean you like to download stuff that is not Universal? If you're talking about applications that were designed for PowerPC, then your Mac will have no problem running them. They'll just be a bit slower because of the emulation required to run them.

Please write in coherent sentences so we can actually understand what you're saying.

OP
R
Reaction score
sry, i cant write ''in coherent sentences'' because i really dont know EXACTLY what am talking about, am just trying to describe what i understood from my technician, so sorry, i dont think i can write conherent talking about this....

just, thread CLOSED

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.