Format MacBook "fresh-install"

Reaction score
Before I go wild on installing random programs and eventually stuffing up my operating system, will anyone be able to guide me through the procedure of setting up my MacBook from scratch?

I've tried running the install disc that comes with it, but that only lets me "upgrade" the current system.

Also, how would I go about backing-up my data? My MacBook can't talk to my PCs, so I have no where else to store my work :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What do you mean by upgrade the current system? The OS that's on the discs should be the same as that installed on your computer, so there really shouldn't be anything to upgrade.

Anyway, to do a fresh install, pop in your recovery disc, restart your computer and hold down the "C" button. It'll load from the disc and you should have the option to do a fresh install of OS X.

OP
V
Reaction score
The only problem with external HD is that I need to spend more money. It's better to just use the current equipment that I have, there must be a way to transfer data from Mac <> PC.

The MacBook only came with 2 discs, and they are both OS X install discs. When I ran them from startup by holding "c", the only option it gave me was "upgrade" the current OS.

I didn't see any fresh-install option. Am I mistaken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can transfer files from your Mac to your PC via an Ethernet cable. It's a really simple process, I do it all the time.

If you don't see a fresh install option, you may need to format the drive first using Disk Utility, an option available during OS X setup in the toolbar at top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only problem with external HD is that I need to spend more money. It's better to just use the current equipment that I have, there must be a way to transfer data from Mac <> PC.

The MacBook only came with 2 discs, and they are both OS X install discs. When I ran them from startup by holding "c", the only option it gave me was "upgrade" the current OS.

I didn't see any fresh-install option. Am I mistaken?

Your restore discs should not only give you the "Upgrade" option, but there should also be an option to an "Archive and Install" and a clean install as well. When you get to the page that says the system is going to "Upgrade", go back one page and click the options button in the bottom left corner, the clean install and archive options should be in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.