monitor vs. energy saver ? which one is broken

Reaction score
i have my energy saver set up as follows:

a) put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for 15 min
b) put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for 15 min
c) checked, put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

the mac had been working well until two days ago. on that day, i left the computer on for over an hour without working on it. the computer first went to screen saver, then to sleep (or so it seemed).
when i wanted to use the computer again, i did the "usual" to awaken the computer - touching the keyboard and moving the mouse - yet nothing happened. the display did not come back to life. nothing seemed to work so in the end i needed to reboot the computer twice (first time the display still dead) to bring back to life the display. ever since that incident, the frequency of display-not-coming-back-to-life has been on the rise. now to the point i must constantly use the computer or else once the desktop is gone, it will not come back until i reboot the computer.
since the mac is wired to the network in the office, i asked the IT guy to check on my computer. strangely, he could see my desktop from his terminal (using some sort of remote control thing) and perform all functions remotely (at the same time, my monitor stayed "sleep").
i wonder what the problems are - the monitor or energy saver ? or anything else. IT guy is just as clueless as i am, thus i am posting the question here for some advice (to share with our IT teams)

any input will be appreciated.

OP
S
Reaction score
some spec of the mac i am using

powe mac G4
OS X (version 10.4.10)
do not know of any new update in the system
(in fact, i get frequent prompts to ask me to update my antivirus system, but i simply refuse the request since i need to call our IT guys to come down to my office for it)
if there is any other info that's needed, please let me know. thanks for any input that may come

i have my energy saver set up as follows:

a) put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for 15 min
b) put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for 15 min
c) checked, put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

the mac had been working well until two days ago. on that day, i left the computer on for over an hour without working on it. the computer first went to screen saver, then to sleep (or so it seemed).
when i wanted to use the computer again, i did the "usual" to awaken the computer - touching the keyboard and moving the mouse - yet nothing happened. the display did not come back to life. nothing seemed to work so in the end i needed to reboot the computer twice (first time the display still dead) to bring back to life the display. ever since that incident, the frequency of display-not-coming-back-to-life has been on the rise. now to the point i must constantly use the computer or else once the desktop is gone, it will not come back until i reboot the computer.
since the mac is wired to the network in the office, i asked the IT guy to check on my computer. strangely, he could see my desktop from his terminal (using some sort of remote control thing) and perform all functions remotely (at the same time, my monitor stayed "sleep").
i wonder what the problems are - the monitor or energy saver ? or anything else. IT guy is just as clueless as i am, thus i am posting the question here for some advice (to share with our IT teams)

any input will be appreciated.

OP
S
Reaction score
no help ??

can anyone offer some suggestions ???? it's been five days, but no one seems to be able to respond .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.