Any Magsafe Dangers?

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased the updated Macbook Pro. I'm new to Mac and not used to the Magsafe feature.

I was wondering if the Magsafe port had any dangers I need to be aware of, especially since it's so close to the USB port and magnet near memory is never a good thing lol.

Is it safe to:

1) Leave storage devices near it? (Ex: iPod, external hard drives, credit cards)
2) Transfer heavy files from an external using the USB port near the Magsafe? (ex: will it distort the files transfered?)

Also, if somehow a USB got stuck (magnetic attraction) momentarily onto the Magsafe, will it distort the memory in the attached storage device? (ex: if I was about to transfer files from my iPod and I moved the USB too close to the Magsafe and it gets attached momentarily, will it distory files in my iPod?)

Thanks a lot, I'm really worried about my files lol ><;

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, I've recently purchased the updated Macbook Pro. I'm new to Mac and not used to the Magsafe feature.

I was wondering if the Magsafe port had any dangers I need to be aware of, especially since it's so close to the USB port and magnet near memory is never a good thing lol.

Is it safe to:

1) Leave storage devices near it? (Ex: iPod, external hard drives, credit cards)
2) Transfer heavy files from an external using the USB port near the Magsafe? (ex: will it distort the files transfered?)

Also, if somehow a USB got stuck (magnetic attraction) momentarily onto the Magsafe, will it distort the memory in the attached storage device? (ex: if I was about to transfer files from my iPod and I moved the USB too close to the Magsafe and it gets attached momentarily, will it distory files in my iPod?)

Thanks a lot, I'm really worried about my files lol ><;

I don't think there's any cause for concern. I've never had any issues using the left side USB port, and I've used it extensively with my iPod, external drive and flash drives.

The only thing you need to watch out for is damage to the cable itself and also make sure that the connector is well seated. There have been isolated cases of MagSafe adapters catching fire, but it usually revolves around damaged cables or improperly seated connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.