• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, wireless mouse and keyboard, upgraded ram
Please discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.

I have a few of my hockey games recorded on dvd . I also have a imac with a dvd burner. I would like to make copies of the dvd. Is this even possible? Also I am a total rookie when it comes to this so please take it easy on me. Thanks.

I also tried to search for this info but I am not familar with the lingo on this BB so...

Reaction score
OK, you can use handbrake to pull video files off of those homemade dvds. Bring them off as 100% constant quality and set the settings to mp4.

You can do some fun things with your video in imovie. Then idvd can burn them.

Reaction score
Copying discs

The simplest, easiest, surest way if you're on completely new ground is with an invaluable piece of software called Toast. Whilst version 8 is current, there is not a great deal of practical difference with Toast 7, and that goes for under $20 on eBay, and similar on Amazon.
Specifically for you, it has a Copy button, and guides you through inserting your original disc, which is reads and stores, then to put in a blank disk, another Click, and a message telling you when it's done and ready to remove from your drive.
Otherwise:
1. insert the original disk in the drive and wait till it mounts.
2 Click on its icon to open it, and drag (all) the files to a new empty folder on your desktop.
3. This is where it gets less simple, as the files you see may be VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files; or some other format since a hockey game would have been shot on a camcorder as DV, and may well have used something like iDVD to burn the DV file to the original disk. (Warned you it starts to get complicated!.)
4. You may waste a blank disc, but: the Mac OS /Utilities has a Burner, which you can run, choosing the video file you've just copied to your hard disc. I've never used it as I use Toast. If you have trouble (and waste the disc); or want to preempt wasting it, post another thread asking for help to use the Mac Burner utility, or if anyone knows of better, free burning software you could download.
Interested to know how you go- particularly the format (names) of the files on your original disk and how they went with Mac Burner if you try that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.