The Uselessness of iLife?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I was on another forum having this discussion.

Most every mac person on that forum would use the fact that since iLife was bundled with OS X, that it made OS X that much of a better value over windows, with the counter point that most of the stuff that iLife does, Vista is now capable of doing.

I stated several post with this sentiment:

iLife is over-rated.

It's great for most of your computing/creativity challenged individuals, but for most people on a computer forum, it's not something that you can argue makes OS X that much better of an operating system. Granted, I haven't touched '08 and the only way it will get installed on my system is if I some how end up with it for free, but so far my new version of iLife includes Adobe CS3, Light Room, Logic, and Toast. I don't do video editing so I haven't touched the Movie software.

I find that the previous version of iLife is clunky and that if you want to use certain apps, like iWeb, it requires you to use something like iPhoto for the pictures. Garageband is even pretty much useless to me since I use Logic to record. I've opened it once to add one of it's sound effects to a song.

And it's no secret that I despise iPhoto. I'm used to knowing exactly where my photos are at on a drive and like them being labeled and not buried under a layer of folders and tagged as Roll1, Roll2, etc... Light Room has done all that plus has the added advantage of processing and editing the photos as well as great orginization schemes.

The only problem this poses to your average user is price. That software is not cheap. All that software together is really really not cheap. But the question is this: If price was not an issue, are there actually any OS X users that would prefer the simplicity and sometimes limiting programs of iLife other using more custom and advanced apps like Adobe software?

Reaction score
iLife isnt included in mac osx it is a suite of programmes made by apple which comes with every mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Number a) The applications you listed as being better values for the job that they do are very unlikely to be used and/or grasped by the average owner of a Mac. I use Photoshop CS3 for editing my images, and work with the invidual files on the Mac filesystem with either finder, or with the command line. For audio work I use Audacity. I, however, am not the average user. I spent quite a lot of time with Photoshop and it took me quite awhile before I even got close to doing useful things with it.

Number b) you would be amazed (I certainly am) at the number of people who cannot (or refuse to) grasp the concept of moving/copying/dragging/dropping files around places. This is one of the reasons people like iTunes as opposed to having a digital audio player which utilizes the filesystem and dragging/dropping. My mother had an audio player which showed up on her desktop when she plugged it in. I tried to explain to her the concept of taking a bunch of her music files over here; then dragging them over to the music player icon. She didn't get it. She's a smart woman, it was just very difficult for her to visualize the concept. I got her an iPod, showed her how iTunes works, and she was able to get music on her player. The integrated concept of 'iTunes owns all of the music files' on a computer works for her, and it's the same concepts for most of the iApps. iPhoto handles your pictures, iWeb makes your web page go, iDVD makes it so you can make consumer-dvd-player DVDs from your videos, and iMovie allowes you to make these movies.

I don't use most of them much like you. Though I did make a couple of little movies with iMovie, and it was remarkably easy, but video editing isn't something I do a lot. For the vast majority of Mac users, however, they'll be perfectly happy to let iPhoto, iTunes, etc. do the grunt work of managing their digital 'stuff' without having the overhead of bothering with such esoterica as where they are physically located on the disk. Therefore, the iLife apps do have value.

To the 'power user' they don't but then we go out and seek out the applications that are going to work for us, and have the knowledge necessary to use them. The iLife suite removes quite a bit of the need for such knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
You know what I like about OS X? One version and not five different versions that vary in content and price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
I guess it all depends on your level of use and what you intend to get out of it.

I just got my new iMac last week as a replacement for my home PC....all I do is surf, email, pictures, music, videos, the occasional document, burn CD's and DVD's, manage my webspace.....that's it really, and the iMac with iLife08 does it beautifully and simply. Exactly what I was looking for, exactly what I needed in a beautiful machine that screams and "just works"....I spend my whole day solving very complex issues on high end servers...I want my personal system to be simple, just work, and I don't have to think much to use it.

I'm not a power user by any definition, but I'm certainly not "computing/creativity challenged" and it's not what I bought the machine for. If I were a professional photographer, professional musician, web developer, etc....or even just a very "serious" hobbiest, then the iLife08 suite would probably not meet my needs, as it sounds like it does not meet yours. Use the right tool for the job is always good advice, rather than slam the screwdriver when you needed a hammer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You, a professional user, belittling an amateur set of applications? Whodathunkit?

Dude, of course you see it as over-rated, you're used to professional grade applications. But you know what? The vast majority of people don't, and think that iLife is the best thing since sliced bread. So for them, it's a GREAT value that puts Macs way ahead of Windows.

Oh, and here's the dirty little secret. Once you become hooked to the basic applications, you'll eventually upgrade to the Pro applications that cost significant money. So iLife is simply the "gateway drug" to applications like Logic and Aperture. I bet having iLife installed on all new Macs doesn't sound so stupid now, does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I don't need all the features of Lightroom, I already have iPhoto, and I know how to use it. Nor do I need Logic, when GarageBand is fine for me. Sure, I will eventually get Final Cut Express, but for basic stuff iMovie does for now. iWeb I don't really use because I write web pages in source code, and sure iDVD is no good if I want to sell a movie, but it is good enough for just putting random movies onto to watch on the TV.

Most people don't need all the features of the advanced software, not to mention the price tag, and most of the time it is harder to use.

Reaction score
This is soemthing I've struggled with, I really like the ease of use of the programs. But I also enjoy the more powerful alternatives. Specifically when it comes to iPhoto, I to like to know where all my photos are on the disk. So it's tough to use that program when I don't know where all my photos are going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I like iLife. As soon as I'm sure my MacBook works properly again (ref thread), I'll get iLife '08.

I'm a programmer. At the moment I'm running a program that distributes processing across five CPUs (the number of which I can vary on demand), will run 50,000 iterations, and will complete in about 84 hours. (I've already processed 150,000 with good results, hence the additional 50k.) I've hacked Linux kernels in the past and have written my own automated backup routines. I don't need to fight with my computer all of the time.

Maybe there are better and more professional tools than what's in iLife, but I regularly use iPhoto and Garage Band, and I've used iWeb. I'm looking forward to using the .Mac Web Gallery.

Regarding the web, in August 2004 our family went to Australia. Yes I could have written/scripted routines to set up photo web pages, including the production of thumbnails and images sized for the web, but I didn't. iWeb and iPhoto made the difference between doing the web page or not.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I like iLife also. Would love to have CS3, and I can afford it, but there's no way it's worth that kind of money for the things I do. And put CS3 on my wife's machine - hah - she wouldn't open it again after the first try with it.

Went and bought iLife 08 a couple days ago, $99 for a 5 license Family pack, just can't beat that price. For sure it's all and more than my wife needs. I could use maybe a little more functionality, but for the price, it's a great set of tools. And I don't even touch two of the apps included with it.

Am in a very high stress job, and when I come home to sit at my computer, sometimes easy is all I'm looking for

M

MacHeadCase

I also think iLife is cool and we will be buying iLife 08 very soon now.

I think GarageBand itself is worth the price of the whole suite and from Jobs' presentation last week, I just might give the new iPhoto a try: before I refused to even touch it, I hated the way you lost control over your photos, the dupes, etc.! For image editing I use Photoshop but for my home photos, iPhoto might be interesting with the improvements they made in the app.

And just so that it is clear to anyone reading this thread: iLife does NOT come bundled with Mac OS X.

It is however part of the bundled software on new Macs. But it is a separate product from OS X.

When you want to get a newer iLife version, you have to buy the software or... buy a new Mac. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If OSX and iLife does not satisfy you, why not ditch them and use XP or Vista? I will probably get flack for this, but all I see is people dissing OSX and iLife and whatever is connected with the Mac. If I felt that way, there would not be ONE Mac computer in this house. I have better things to do with my time then waste it with something I really don't like. That gets in the way of the real use for a computer, getting stuff done. I use what gets that job done for me the best, Fastest and the most enjoyable when doing it too. That last one is important to me. I hate walking around with a frown on my face all day.

Adobe software? I HATE premier with a Passion and yes, I have used it for years till I got a Mac with Final Cut. Sure that is not the iLife suite, but hey, it's Adobe Vs Apple software. I know premier very well, but at the end of the day would use Final Cut any day of the week. Photoshop is editing software and not a picture manager.

M

MacHeadCase

If OSX and iLife does not satisfy you, why not ditch them and use XP or Vista? I will probably get flack for this, but all I see is people dissing OSX and iLife and whatever is connected with the Mac. If I felt that way, there would not be ONE Mac computer in this house. I have better things to do with my time then waste it with something I really don't like. That gets in the way of the real use for a computer, getting stuff done. I use what gets that job done for me the best, Fastest and the most enjoyable when doing it too. That last one is important to me. I hate walking around with a frown on my face all day.

Adobe software? I HATE premier with a Passion and yes, I have used it for years till I got a Mac with Final Cut. Sure that is not the iLife suite, but hey, it's Adobe Vs Apple software. I know premier very well, but at the end of the day would use Final Cut any day of the week. Photoshop is editing software and not a picture manager.

Exactly, dtravis. I think the OP is belittling a lot of users out there. It's like a Formula 1 driver thinking all those that buy Ford cars are idiots and don't know any better. Perhaps they can't afford a Mercedes or a Ferrari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
MHC, I totally agree that I hated iphoto 06 with the way it handled my pictures. But iphoto 08 is actually useful and is definitely worth the money. I'm happy Apple made iphoto more useful. I also like the new version of iWork. But hey, I bet that's another software suite that's too "basic" for the OP...

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If OSX and iLife does not satisfy you, why not ditch them and use XP or Vista?

OS X is more than iLife...at least it must be, because I don't think that I would own a mac if the only program available was iLife. This isn't a Windows vs. OS X thread. I was merely asking who would use programs that give you greater control over the final product vs. iLife's integration if price were not an issue.

Exactly, dtravis. I think the OP is belittling a lot of users out there. It's like a Formula 1 driver thinking all those that buy Ford cars are idiots and don't know any better. Perhaps they can't afford a Mercedes or a Ferrari?

See above.

I don't believe that people that use iLife are idiots, I was just stating that the way some of the programs handle files and such is kind of screwy if you're using files and such other than in the programs. I also stated that I have not used iLife 08. But with using iPhoto and iWeb and garage band and such, that they're just not usefull if you want to use them for anything more than basic purposes. You can build some nice web sites with iWeb, but you have to use iPhoto for the pictures and if you want to do anything really advanced, it's not the tool for it, something like Dreamweaver would be better suited for that.

iPhoto would put all my pictures in to roll folders that were named "Roll1", "Roll2", etc...and if you wanted to use photoshop to edit them, then it would be like a scavenger hunt trying to find the right picture.

I also own a studio. We do graphic design, recording, and videography. iLife just doesn't cut it for that...

But if you had a choice between iLife and a set of programs like CS3, Final Cut, and Logic and money wasn't an option, then what would you go with.

I too work in an IT department all day, and when I come home, I'm also not in a mood to mess with stuff and want everything to be easy, that's why I prefer to catalouge my own files so I know where they are and have programs that will do exactly what I want them too.

I did also

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For HOME usage iLife without a doubt. For Pro usage, sure, CS3 and some of the other packages you mentioned, but I would not use Premier no matter what over Final Cut. For most people out there iLife is great and does all they need. No one ever stated (at least no one I know) that iLife was a Full out Pro solution for people in a situation like say yours. NOTHING that comes in Vista would do for Pro usage either. I would still need CS3, Premier or Avid, Logic, Etc.

I feel iLife is a great set of applications for most people who buy a Mac and even nicer since it's free with all new Macs.

Reaction score
I bought Aperture and discovered it's waaaaaaay over my head. so I'm back to iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
iPhoto would put all my pictures in to roll folders that were named "Roll1", "Roll2", etc...and if you wanted to use photoshop to edit them, then it would be like a scavenger hunt trying to find the right picture.
Fwiw, you can easily change the name of a roll if you want. Just click on the "title" entry in the Information box in the lower left hand corner. Also, you can add comments to a roll that will appear under the roll name. That's done in the same Information box, but at the bottom. Below is a screenshot of how I use iPhoto:

iphoto_sm.png

Finding photos is easy for me. Managing them is easy too. If I want to modify an image, I'll drag it to the desktop and use the Gimp to edit it.

Just my two bits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
... I was just stating that the way some of the programs handle files and such is kind of screwy if you're using files and such other than in the programs. .... that they're just not usefull if you want to use them for anything more than basic purposes.
And that is the point of iLife. It is intended for beginner level, basic work. It is supposed to be basic and simple.

Again, Photoshop is not a basic or home user software. It is intended and designed for professionals. If someone is a professional, then I wouldn't expect them to be using iPhoto to manage their photo library in the first place. iLife isn't for professionals, it is for novice, inexperienced home users. If someone has Photoshop, then they probably aren't going to use iPhoto because they would likely be at a more advanced level of experience.

I also own a studio. We do graphic design, recording, and videography. iLife just doesn't cut it for that...
I agree... but then this simply goes back to what I have already said. CS3, et al. is not intended for home users. I wouldn't even trust a professional design studio that used iLife software to do their work... and I don't think anyone would be in danger of encountering that situation. But, if you're Joe Blow family guy and you want to edit the video of little Susie's birthday party... then have at it with iMovie.

But if you had a choice between iLife and a set of programs like CS3, Final Cut, and Logic and money wasn't an option, then what would you go with.
I have professional software. Then again, I am a professional designer. It isn't about money, its about ease of use. The Pro apps aren't always easy to grasp or quick to take to. Plus, if all I wanted to do was make my photo B&W, and I know nothing about photomanipulation, photograhic/design terminology or imaging software, is it easier to:

Open the file in Photoshop
Go to the "Image" option in the menu bar
Choose "Adjustments"
Choose "Desaturate"

OR:

Double-click on the picture in iPhoto and then hit the "B&W" button

I think the answer is clear. The average person might not know what 'Grayscale' is and that it will essentially give that effect. The average person doesn't know what saturation level is for a photograph. They aren't going to know that the shortcut in Photoshop is simply 'Shift + Command + U'. Photoshop (and many professional-level apps) are very feature-rich and extremely intimidating to novice users. A novice doesn't need 37 menus, 159 filters, 258 effects, or 987 different ways possible to achieve a similar result.
They know two things, "color" and "B&W". If they see a button that not only says this but has an icon to match the result, then that will work better for them.
They also don't need (or even really use) any sort of intricate filing methods or naming conventions for their data.

This mentality goes for any of the iLife suites. They generally use simple, every day terms, easy "point-and-click" or "drag-and-drop" solutions to get a desired result. That is what a casual, novice user would want and that is what iLife delivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
How can you really compare a $1000+ Design suite to one that only costs $79? Of course something like CS3 is going to be vastly superior to iLife. Like mentioned already, for the average HOME user iLife is pretty nice for the price and what it has to offer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.