The Uselessness of iLife?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use both, iPhoto to display, store, import from my camera & Print my pictures, and Photoshop when some heavy duty editing has to be done. I just drag the photo from the iPhoto window and drop it into Photoshop. Before OSX I used to use ACDSEE and Photoshop in XP.

Excellent replies Mathogre and DB. I learned something I did not know before from you Mathogre!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
When you buy iLife 08 and put it on your mac does it override iLife 06 or will you need to manually trash iLife 06??

Reaction score
How can you really compare a $1000+ Design suite to one that only costs $79? Of course something like CS3 is going to be vastly superior to iLife. Like mentioned already, for the average HOME user iLife is pretty nice for the price and what it has to offer.

Exactly.

I'm also sure that iLife is designed by Apple to not only supply the average user with creative tools out of the box but also as a gateway to the more professional apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Exactly.

I'm also sure that iLife is designed by Apple to not only supply the average user with creative tools out of the box but also as a gateway to the more professional apps.

That's what I said, but apparently somebody disagrees with me. Gotta love the spineless types who just say "wrong" in their neg rep and not backup their statements...:Not-Amused:

Anyway, VillageIdiot, it looks like you're not getting it. Yes, CS3 and Lightroom and Logic are all superior to the apps bundled in iLife. And I would hope so, otherwise I'd feel really ripped off after paying several hundred dollars for a single one of those pro apps.

To conclude, iLife is not for somebody like you, and it wasn't intended to be. But for the vast majority of Mac users who are NOT graphics professionals like you, iLife is just perfect. Like DB said, it's much easier for average Joe to drag and drop than to dig through tons of menus.

So again, don't belittle the suite just because it doesn't fit your needs. It's a great set of programs that a lot of people find very useful.

Oh, and Netty, when I installed iLife 08, it left the old iMovie intact, but upgraded everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Another iLife fan here.

I actually like iLfe06 enough to not consider an upgrade just yet. Initially I wasn't too keen on the way iTunes and iPhoto organised my files, however I think that was more to do with me getting used to the differences between Windows and OS X. Now I realise that the way iTunes and iPhoto manage my data is actually quite well structured; I'm a big fan.

Played with Garageband, and I was quite pleased with my initial reults and that is something I'd like to do a little more with tbh. Not really used the other apps in this suite.

I'd agree with those that have said these are not professional grade applications, but for most home users they are enough.

Is Comic Life part of iLife?

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
iPhoto would put all my pictures in to roll folders that were named "Roll1", "Roll2", etc...and if you wanted to use photoshop to edit them, then it would be like a scavenger hunt trying to find the right picture.

I also own a studio. We do graphic design, recording, and videography. iLife just doesn't cut it for that...

*Snip*

iPhoto 8 seems to have solved the difficulty in "storing" the photos with a better way to put them together (Events) and it has skimming now so you can see what the stacks contain.

And that's just it! You work in the field so naturally you'll think laymen's tools are useless and below you. And you wouldn't be inclined to using them.

Then again they do have their advantages just like DB says.

I wouldn't expect a plumber to use dinky tools he bought at Walmart's at home.

Simply said: your needs are yours, not everyone else's.

Reaction score
That's what I said, but apparently somebody disagrees with me. Gotta love the spineless types who just say "wrong" in their neg rep and not backup their statements...:Not-Amused:

Don't worry about it. I have had the same when disagreeing. Some people just like to view themselves as the font of all knowledge despite evidence to the contrary.

M

MacHeadCase

Anyway, VillageIdiot, it looks like you're not getting it. Yes, CS3 and Lightroom and Logic are all superior to the apps bundled in iLife. And I would hope so, otherwise I'd feel really ripped off after paying several hundred dollars for a single one of those pro apps.

To conclude, iLife is not for somebody like you, and it wasn't intended to be. But for the vast majority of Mac users who are NOT graphics professionals like you, iLife is just perfect. Like DB said, it's much easier for average Joe to drag and drop than to dig through tons of menus.

So again, don't belittle the suite just because it doesn't fit your needs. It's a great set of programs that a lot of people find very useful.

Oh, and Netty, when I installed iLife 08, it left the old iMovie intact, but upgraded everything else.

I'd betcha lots of cash, Kash, that quite a bit of us got neg repped because we didn't agree with the opening post. *cough* *cough* ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd betcha lots of cash, Kash, that quite a bit of us got neg repped because we didn't agree with the opening post. *cough* *cough* ;)

yep, *cough* - got my very first one ever, but then I was probably due for one

and Netty, Apple got the message from all the forums. Disk I just purchased of iLife 08 also kept the old version iMovie in place, so you now have both

DB, hit the nail on the head - I probably could have figured it out, but to ask my wife to drill down through those menus or use google to figure out how to do something that's not readily apparent - not happenin'

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I see your bet and raise you one DARK RED dot! :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I know I did. :D

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Wow...some one can't get off trying to make this an OS X vs. Windows thread. I repeat. This is not about OS X vs. Windows, this was a simple question based on a discussion from another board. If you had a choice of using iLife vs. any other program out there, how many of you would still choose to use iLife if money was not a choice.

I just stated my opinion and wanted to see what everyone thought. I didn't say Hey! Let's start a Windows vs. OS X thread so everyone can send me negative rep about it. I see some people can't get past that though and if Windows is even mentioned in a thread they get sore about it.

I did not bash OS X. I was merely commenting on whether or not people find iLife useful. iLife is not OS X. As I also stated before, if that was the case, then I would have returned my MBP and would not have even though twice about owning another. As it stands, I'm looking at purchasing a 17" and possibly selling my Dell since all my new software is OS X compatible and not Vista.

I guess some people just really can't get past thinking everything a person that uses windows says is against their beloved Mac. News flash...There are a lot of people out there that use both systems and don't have a problem with either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd most likely choose the other program. I use iPhoto to organize my desktop pictures, and Lightroom for my actual photography library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow...some one can't get off trying to make this an OS X vs. Windows thread. I repeat. This is not about OS X vs. Windows, this was a simple question based on a discussion from another board. If you had a choice of using iLife vs. any other program out there, how many of you would still choose to use iLife if money was not a choice.

You're STILL not getting it. OBVIOUSLY most of us here would choose the superior program because we KNOW how to use it. But average Joe, for whom the iLife suite is targeted, will choose the easier to use program. He doesn't care if Photoshop has a million features when he's only interested in half of dozen. Why would the average user spend $300 on a piece of software that he/she will never fully use, especially when a cheaper and easier option is available?

You're assuming that most people WANT that choice. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people have only a basic understanding of computers and would their computers to be as simple as possible. That's what Apple is offering with its iLife suite. A simple way to do things on your computer. If you give the average user a choice between the two, he/she will pick iLife.

You also missed my earlier point about iLife being a stepping stone. I very much doubt you have always been a professional designer. You must have started out somewhere basic and progressed to learn more to get where you are. Well programs like iPhoto and iMovie are those early first steps people take before they move on to the professional apps. To be honest, there wouldn't be nearly as many people buying the professional apps if beginner stuff like iMovie and iPhoto weren't available.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You're STILL not getting it. OBVIOUSLY most of us here would choose the superior program because we KNOW how to use it. But average Joe, for whom the iLife suite is targeted, will choose the easier to use program. He doesn't care if Photoshop has a million features when he's only interested in half of dozen. Why would the average user spend $300 on a piece of software that he/she will never fully use, especially when a cheaper and easier option is available?

You're assuming that most people WANT that choice. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people have only a basic understanding of computers and would their computers to be as simple as possible. That's what Apple is offering with its iLife suite. A simple way to do things on your computer. If you give the average user a choice between the two, he/she will pick iLife.

You also missed my earlier point about iLife being a stepping stone. I very much doubt you have always been a professional designer. You must have started out somewhere basic and progressed to learn more to get where you are. Well programs like iPhoto and iMovie are those early first steps people take before they move on to the professional apps. To be honest, there wouldn't be nearly as many people buying the professional apps if beginner stuff like iMovie and iPhoto weren't available.

It was just a question to the users of this forum. You know, like a poll. There some one who said that they program all day still prefer iLife. That's some one with a good bit of knowledge there if you ask me.

That's that I was asking. See, state an opinion, ask a question, get an answer.

Not state an opinion, have a bunch of people yelling about OS X vs. Windows and "Why are belittling everyone that doesn't use the programs you do". I can see that some people like to take offense at what ever they can. Next time I'll try and be as PC as possible and not use anything that would offend anyone.

Maybe the question would have better served as "Why is iLife good to you". Oh yeah...and I guess I couldn't have stated my opinion either...seems some people took offense to that as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A simple poll? Have you read your original post in this thread? You bashed iLife from the get go. Here, let me jog your memory:

I was on another forum having this discussion.

Most every mac person on that forum would use the fact that since iLife was bundled with OS X, that it made OS X that much of a better value over windows, with the counter point that most of the stuff that iLife does, Vista is now capable of doing.

I stated several post with this sentiment:

iLife is over-rated.

It's great for most of your computing/creativity challenged individuals, but for most people on a computer forum, it's not something that you can argue makes OS X that much better of an operating system. Granted, I haven't touched '08 and the only way it will get installed on my system is if I some how end up with it for free, but so far my new version of iLife includes Adobe CS3, Light Room, Logic, and Toast. I don't do video editing so I haven't touched the Movie software.

I find that the previous version of iLife is clunky and that if you want to use certain apps, like iWeb, it requires you to use something like iPhoto for the pictures. Garageband is even pretty much useless to me since I use Logic to record. I've opened it once to add one of it's sound effects to a song.

And it's no secret that I despise iPhoto. I'm used to knowing exactly where my photos are at on a drive and like them being labeled and not buried under a layer of folders and tagged as Roll1, Roll2, etc... Light Room has done all that plus has the added advantage of processing and editing the photos as well as great orginization schemes.

The only problem this poses to your average user is price. That software is not cheap. All that software together is really really not cheap. But the question is this: If price was not an issue, are there actually any OS X users that would prefer the simplicity and sometimes limiting programs of iLife other using more custom and advanced apps like Adobe software?

You made it seem as though only a retarded person would use iLife since the option to use professional apps is available. Your initial post, and all subsequent posts, made it seem as though you didn't understand the purpose of iLife. That is why an argument began, to show you why Apple makes iLife, which for some odd reason, a notion you had difficultly grasping.

You're not restricted from offering your opinion, but please, at least do it sensibly.

Now I'm going to answer the question you asked in as simple of terms as I can. If money were not an option, the vast majority of people would still choose iLife because of how simple its applications are to use. Most members of this forum (who are NOT average users) will obviously choose the professional apps.

Now if you don't understand why this is the case, I suggest going back and re-reading this thread as there were some really good posts explaining the reason.

Edit: I just read over this thread myself and saw that there were only about 2 or 3 posts having to do with Windows vs. OS X, so I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that this thread became a pissing contest about Windows vs. OS X.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A simple poll? Have you read your original post in this thread? You bashed iLife from the get go. Here, let me jog your memory:

You made it seem as though only a retarded person would use iLife since the option to use professional apps is available. Your initial post, and all subsequent posts, made it seem as though you didn't understand the purpose of iLife. That is why an argument began, to show you why Apple makes iLife, which for some odd reason, a notion you had difficultly grasping.

You're not restricted from offering your opinion, but please, at least do it sensibly.

I was merely stating my opinion that I think that iLife isn't very good. I also stated that most people that hang out on computer forums aren't your average user.

I know why Apple makes iLife and all of that, but I guess you missed the part:
Village Idiot said:
But the question is this: If price was not an issue, are there actually any OS X users that would prefer the simplicity and sometimes limiting programs of iLife other using more custom and advanced apps like Adobe software?

The question wasn't "Why does Apple make iLife and are the people that use it retarded". You just interpretted it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I edited my previous post to answer your "question." I suggest you read it.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Now I'm going to answer the question you asked in as simple of terms as I can. If money were not an option, the vast majority of people would still choose iLife because of how simple its applications are to use. Most members of this forum (who are NOT average users) will obviously choose the professional apps.

Now if you don't understand why this is the case, I suggest going back and re-reading this thread as there were some really good posts explaining the reason.

Edit: I just read over this thread myself and saw that there were only about 2 or 3 posts having to do with Windows vs. OS X, so I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that this thread became a pissing contest about Windows vs. OS X.

And like I said, this was directed towards,

Most members of this forum (who are NOT average users) will obviously choose the professional apps.

the members of this board. See, there are even IT professionals that still use iLife.

And it became a "pissing contest" the moment people started throwing around negative rep with comments along the lines of "Stop bashing OS X".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll agree with you about the neg rep thing. To the spineless twat who went on a neg repping spree in this thread, that was just childish, not to mention annoying.

You had a legit question. But you have to admit, it could have been phrased a little better. I mean, just look at your title.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.