Won an iBook on a bet and it won't wake up... Help

C

cuddles99999

Hi all,

Won a ibook from my buddy on a bet... I'm a PC guy and have no idea... All I got was the power cord, no manual, start up disk, nada... When I fire it up all I get is three beeps and the screen stays black... The power cord goes from green to amber and a white light flashes on the edge... He says that if I am so smart, I should be able to figure it all out... Won't even tell me the OS that is in it... Sore loser... I just wanna get it up, running and annoy him some more before I give it back... All I can tell you is that it is white and that it is model #A1007... Any Help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Any CDs with it? Well if no, restart holding Apple S to aquire single user terminal. Once there type /sbin/fsck -fy until the **** file system **** message stops showing - then restart and see what you got

OP
C

cuddles99999

witeshark said:
Any CDs with it? Well if no, restart holding Apple S to aquire single user terminal. Once there type /sbin/fsck -fy until the **** file system **** message stops showing - then restart and see what you got

Thanks for the quick reply... No CD's... Tried Apple S, and held on to it for about 2 minutes... Still nothing on the screen. Power cord plug went from green to amber in about 1 minute and the white light kept flashing the whole time... Completely black screen... It did make a slight whirring sound just after the three beeps...

OP
M

Matt

That sux, must be hardware problem. Try and get a burned copy of OSX and re-install. I dont quite understand the problem so if this is impossible, beats me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
you can get PDF manuals from Apple if you know what model it is..

The specs are under the keyboard on a sticker (well mine are)

Amber = charging

To open the CD drive its F12 with the eject symbol

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

cuddles99999 said:
Thanks for the quick reply... No CD's... Tried Apple S, and held on to it for about 2 minutes... Still nothing on the screen. Power cord plug went from green to amber in about 1 minute and the white light kept flashing the whole time... Completely black screen... It did make a slight whirring sound just after the three beeps...
nono, you have to force restart it.

ok, try this:

Press and hold Command (apple key)+Control+Power button for a second or so (this is the mac version of hitting Ctrl+Alt+Dlt twice), then press and hold Command+S. if nothing happens, i'm not sure what to tell you.

The powercord plug going from green to amber is just stating the charge level of the battery. when the light is green, that means that the battery is charged and the power cord/cube is just powering the laptop while "trickle-charging" the battery (trickle-charging is where it doesn't actually "charge" it, it just gives it little bumps of juice periodically to keep it at 100%), and while the light is amber, that means that it's charging the battery. the white pulsating light on the front of the ibook is just the sleep light. it only comes on when the computer is in sleep mode. usually all you have to do to wake it up is open the ibook up, or press a key or something, but since that obviously isn't working, i'd say try what i mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
just beeps huh! sounds like you either have a memory problem (try removing any additional memory and restart) otherwise you need to ask a friend for a startup cd, then run the apple hardware test.

holding Apple+S to aquire single user terminal, doesn't do anything if your kernel is either corrupted, damaged or missing. And if your iBook is an older version, then it might have System 9.22 installed; in which case Apple+S will not function.

OP
T

TylerMoney

You might try taking out the battery also..take it out...the computer will go off, then put the battery back in, and turn the computer on again...it should work then......?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
And Apple says…
Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 2

Products introduced after October, 1999 use a revised set of power on self-test beeps during startup. This article describes each one.

Refer to article 58183: "Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 1" for information on earlier computers.

The power on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. This test runs whenever the computer is turned on after being fully shut down (the power-on self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below. If you experience one of these beeps, you may call your Apple Authorized Service Provider for additional troubleshooting assistance.

1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or greater in length.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.